Are there multiple pressures within the human body?

In summary, the human body is in equilibrium with the atmospheric pressure. Blood exerts a pressure on the body equal to the atmospheric pressure. Increased pressures cause pain or popping of the ears. The human body can't tolerate pressures beyond what it is used to. Lymph is a major toxin removal system and doesn't have a pump.
enceladus_
I recently learned about the pressure of the atmosphere against the human body. It just so happens that this force is in equilibrium with the human body, so we do not feel any pressure. Although if we fly an airplane, we do.

This got me to thinking, what of the blood in our veins? Does this not exert a force outward, which I can only assume is in equilibrium with a force acting against it. So now, I have the pressure of the atmosphere acting on me, as well as a pressure from my blood acting in another direction. Is this correct? Are there any other fluids in the human body (mucus?) that I am neglecting?

Biology news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are neglecting Newton's third law.

There are lots of fluids within the human body besides blood, bile, and chyme. Too many to list.

And of course there is the most important fluid in the body: water.

Andy Resnick said:
It sounds like you are neglecting Newton's third law.

Don't leave me hanging!

Ok:

So if the atmosphere exerts a force on the human body, then an equal force will be exerted from the human body. Is this correct?

If my thinking is correct, why do increased pressures cause us pain or make our ears pop? Does it hurt our bodies to exert a greater force then what we are used to? If we go really deep into the ocean, there must be a point where the pressure overwhelms our body, and we get crushed.

enceladus_ said:
Are there any other fluids in the human body (mucus?) that I am neglecting?

I'd say everyone forgot to mention Lymph, which is a major toxin removal system. It is distinguished from the circulatory system by lack of a pump such as a heart.

dont forget the gas pressure, that's way more than the pressure in your veins, which is pretty much nothing.

1. What are the main types of fluids in the human body?

There are several types of fluids in the human body, including blood, lymph, cerebrospinal fluid, interstitial fluid, and digestive juices.

2. How much fluid should I drink in a day to maintain proper hydration?

The recommended amount of fluid intake for an average adult is about 2 liters or 8 glasses of fluid per day. However, this may vary depending on factors such as physical activity, climate, and overall health.

3. How does the body regulate fluid levels?

The body has various mechanisms for regulating fluid levels, including thirst, hormone levels, and the kidneys. These systems work together to maintain a balance of fluid and electrolytes in the body.

4. Why is it important to stay hydrated?

Proper hydration is essential for many bodily functions, including regulating body temperature, transporting nutrients and oxygen to cells, and removing waste products. Dehydration can lead to serious health problems, so it is crucial to stay hydrated.

5. Can drinking too much water be harmful?

While it is important to stay hydrated, drinking too much water can lead to a condition called water intoxication or hyponatremia. This can disrupt the body's electrolyte balance and lead to symptoms such as nausea, headaches, and confusion. It is important to drink water in moderation and listen to your body's thirst cues.