My wife just mixed bleach and 409

• Thread starter elegysix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixed
In summary, mixing bleach with any other chemical can be dangerous and potentially deadly. This includes mixing bleach with 409 spray cleaner, which contains a mixture of surfactants, solvents, and small amounts of dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and Lauryldimethylamine oxide. This combination can produce chlorine gas, which is toxic and can cause serious health problems. It is important to always follow product instructions and avoid mixing bleach with any other substances.
elegysix
That's right. Half a bottle of 409 (dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride) and the other half bleach. The bottle started getting hot, so I put it outside for now. The question is, what abomination is in that bottle? Am I dealing with chlorine gas? Thanks for any answers.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
thanks for the reply. My old lady was saying that it isn't bad because ammonium isn't ammonia. do you know if that small technicality makes a difference?

Yes, I believe you're dealing with chlorine gas. The 409 likely lowered the pH of the bleach's buffer solution which will allow chlorine to come out of solution.

Likes 1 person
thanks!

well, 409 spray cleaner is not really dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, it is a mixture of ingredient
it contains mostly water, then a mixture of surfactants (nonionic and cationic) and a proprietary mixture of solvents, alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride @0.3% and Lauryldimethylamine oxide @1.0%, ph adjusters, fragrance and dye. The 0.3% is sufficient for surface disinfection.
Clorox doesn't recommend mixing it with anything,

Mixing anything with bleach is risky,
However for severe cleaning I do use a mixture of double strength "Bleach" and potassium hydroxide (potassium lye).

maltman said:
well, 409 spray cleaner is not really dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, it is a mixture of ingredient
it contains mostly water, then a mixture of surfactants (nonionic and cationic) and a proprietary mixture of solvents...

Proprietary mixture of solvents = butyl cellosolve (ethylene glycol monobutyl ether)

Edit: That's wrong. It looks like Chlorox reformulated 409 without EB and they are now using ethanolamine. That explains the reaction with bleach. It made the monochloramine of ethanolamine and perhaps a bit of the dichloramine. It is also possible the alcohol end was oxidized to the carboxylate. Likely non-volatile and would act as a pretty good disinfectant. If the OP complained of irritating gases, perhaps chlorine is the culprit.

Last edited:

What happens when bleach and 409 are mixed?

When bleach and 409 are mixed, a chemical reaction occurs. This reaction can produce toxic fumes and is not recommended.

Is it safe to mix bleach and 409?

No, it is not safe to mix bleach and 409. The combination of these two chemicals can release harmful gases and should be avoided.

What are the potential health hazards of mixing bleach and 409?

The chemical reaction between bleach and 409 can release chlorine gas, which can cause irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat. Inhaling high levels of this gas can also lead to difficulty breathing and other respiratory issues.

What should I do if I accidentally mix bleach and 409?

If you accidentally mix bleach and 409, leave the area immediately and seek fresh air. Ventilate the area by opening windows and doors. If you experience any symptoms of exposure to the fumes, seek medical attention.

Are there any safe alternatives to using bleach and 409 together?

Yes, there are many safe alternatives to using bleach and 409 together. Some options include using natural cleaning products, such as vinegar and baking soda, or using separate products for different cleaning tasks.