Battery to replace chemical electron donor

In summary: You can set up a simple electrochemical cell using a battery as an electron donor and an organic compound as the electron acceptor. You can also try using different types of batteries and comparing their effectiveness in the reduction reaction. Additionally, you can explore the potential for using batteries as a more environmentally friendly alternative to traditional chemical electron donors such as mercury. In summary, batteries can indeed substitute as electron donors in reduction reactions and there is potential for using them in place of harmful chemicals like mercury. There are also various experiments that can be done to further explore this topic.
GiTS
In reactions that reduce organic compounds through donation of electrons, can a battery substitute as an electron donor?

In a typical mercury/aluminum amalgam reaction, aluminum donates the electron to the compound that is going to be reduced. The mercury serves as a mediator for the reaction.

I don't understand what mediation is needed and/or how it mediates said reaction.

I have read that the reaction essentially creates a battery. https://www.google.com/search?q=amalgum+battery

I have heard of other reduction reactions that substitute batteries in place of chemical electron donors.

There is a lot of potential here to reduce the environmental impact considering how nasty mercury is.

I've done beginner electrochemistry in my day, but it involved standard metal plating. I'd like to come up with a simple experiment that involves organic compounds.

Any thoughts?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
GiTS said:
In reactions that reduce organic compounds through donation of electrons, can a battery substitute as an electron donor?

Short answer... Yes.

In a typical mercury/aluminum amalgam reaction, aluminum donates the electron to the compound that is going to be reduced. The mercury serves as a mediator for the reaction.

I don't understand what mediation is needed and/or how it mediates said reaction.
Aluminum forms a nonconductive crust when it is oxidizes. Mercury breaks it down and continually presents a pristine, electrically-conductive surface to the reagents while maintaining an intimate electrical contact with the aluminum.

I've done beginner electrochemistry in my day, but it involved standard metal plating. I'd like to come up with a simple experiment that involves organic compounds.

Any thoughts?

Here are a few...

1. What is a battery to replace chemical electron donor?

A battery to replace chemical electron donor is a type of technology that uses alternative forms of energy to power devices, rather than relying on traditional chemical reactions. This can include using mechanical or thermal energy to generate electricity.

2. How does a battery to replace chemical electron donor work?

A battery to replace chemical electron donor works by converting one form of energy into electrical energy. This can be done through various methods such as piezoelectricity, thermoelectricity, or even microbial fuel cells.

3. What are the benefits of using a battery to replace chemical electron donor?

The benefits of using a battery to replace chemical electron donor include reducing our reliance on limited resources such as fossil fuels, reducing pollution and carbon emissions, and providing a more sustainable and renewable source of energy.

4. What are some examples of batteries to replace chemical electron donor?

Some examples of batteries to replace chemical electron donor include piezoelectric generators, which use pressure or vibration to generate electricity, thermoelectric generators, which convert heat into electricity, and microbial fuel cells, which use microorganisms to generate electricity.

5. Are there any limitations to using a battery to replace chemical electron donor?

While there are many benefits to using a battery to replace chemical electron donor, there are also some limitations. These may include higher costs of production, lower energy density compared to traditional batteries, and the need for specific environmental conditions for efficient operation.