Why in fever or increased temperature body's platelets are reduced?

In summary, during fevers or increased body temperature, serum platelets can be reduced. This is often seen in patients with viral fevers, such as dengue. However, the reduction in platelets is not significant enough to cause internal bleeding or hemorrhage. This may be due to factors other than just platelet count, such as changes in intramural integrity. In viral hemorrhagic fevers, internal bleeding is caused by disseminated intravascular coagulation, and a similar mechanism may be at work in patients with dengue. Overall, platelet reduction may be noticeable, but not severe enough to cause petechiae or other forms of hemorrhage.
Manish7
i have observed that during fever or increased body temperature , serum platelets are reduced.
i have seen in patients of viral fever,dengue(its obvious) etc platelets are reduced but not to that extent that it can cause internal bleeding or haemorrhage or petechiae ?
why is this so ?

Biology news on Phys.org
You know about thrombocytopenia in general though right?
It's not all fevers - it seems to be characteristic of viral fevers where the virus can infect the stromal cells.

Certain viral infections (i.e. arboviruses like Dengue) can result in pancytopenia.

As to your question of why "platelets are reduced by not to that extent that it can cause internal bleeding or hemorrhage or petechiae"

The first thing is to sort out definitions. Petechiae is a symptom caused by hemorrhage.

If you average it out, internal bleeding is probably due as much to changes in intramural integrity as it is simply to thrombocytopenia but I'm not sure, I would have to think about it a little more. Clearly there is more to hemorrhage than platelet number. You could reason that platelet reduction to certain levels may be noticeable but not enough to cause petechiae (hemorrhage). In viral hemorrhagic fever (Ebola, etc.) internal bleeding is due to disseminated intravascular coagulation. In Dengue, there's probably a very similar mechanism at work in some patients with secondary or tertiary infection.

1. Why does fever or increased temperature cause a decrease in platelet count?

Fever or increased body temperature can cause a decrease in platelet count because it triggers the body's immune response. When the body is fighting an infection or illness, it produces certain chemicals that can affect platelet production and function, leading to a decrease in platelet count.

2. Is a decrease in platelet count during fever a cause for concern?

In most cases, a temporary decrease in platelet count during a fever is not a cause for concern. However, if the decrease is significant or persistent, it may be a sign of a more serious underlying condition and should be evaluated by a healthcare professional.

3. Can medications used to treat fever affect platelet count?

Yes, certain medications, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and antibiotics, can affect platelet production and function, leading to a decrease in platelet count. It is important to discuss potential side effects of medications with a healthcare professional.

4. Are there any other factors besides fever that can cause a decrease in platelet count?

Yes, besides fever, other factors that can cause a decrease in platelet count include viral or bacterial infections, certain medications, autoimmune disorders, and certain types of cancer. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the underlying cause of a low platelet count.

5. How can I prevent a decrease in platelet count during a fever?

To prevent a decrease in platelet count during a fever, it is important to stay hydrated and get plenty of rest. It is also important to follow the recommended dosage and frequency of any medications used to treat the fever. If the fever persists or if there are other concerning symptoms, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.