Step-by-Step Guide: Designing an E-Shaped Electromagnet for a Magnetic Levitator

In summary, the speaker is trying to create a magnetic levitator for a project, but is struggling with designing an electromagnet from scratch. They only have a few constraints and are feeling overwhelmed. They are seeking help and mention using online calculators to assist with the design process.
Heero2100
Hi guys and gals

Long story short I'm trying to make an magnetic levitator (like you can see on youtube), basically a floating metal ball, this will be part of a project I'm doing but the issue is I have absolutely no idea how to go about designing a electromagnet from scratch (which is a requirement for this).

My only constraints are:

E shaped core
Soft Steel core (EN1A to be precise)
Lift weight of 500 grams about 2 inches from ground (and maintain it about 2 inches from the magnet)

for me its just too many variables and I keep getting confused and stressed! Some simliar examples would be awesome or as close to a step by step design approach as possible would be a god send.

I should point out this is a small part of a project, the majority is designing the rest of the circuit and using a arduino board to control the feedback loop, its just I've wasted so much time on magnet design and still have no clue so starting to worry about time constraint.

Thanks for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This current creates a magnetic field around the wire, making it behave like a magnet.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. By coiling the wire into a helix, the magnetic field is intensified, creating a stronger magnet.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet can be affected by several factors, including the number of coils in the wire, the amount of current flowing through the wire, and the type of core material used. The more coils and the higher the current, the stronger the electromagnet will be.

4. How is an electromagnet designed?

An electromagnet is designed by considering the desired strength and size of the magnet, as well as the intended use. The number of coils, the type of core material, and the amount of current are all carefully chosen to create an electromagnet that meets the specific requirements.

5. What are the applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in many everyday devices, such as doorbells, computer hard drives, and credit card readers.