How do I solve questions involving lots of theory and no calculations?

In summary, the conversation involved a student realizing that they struggle with questions that require more critical thinking in their chemistry class. The example given was a question about the enthalpy of reaction for aluminum reacting with oxygen to form aluminum oxide. The student also asked for advice on how to approach questions like this.
airbusman
I'm in a grade 12 university level chem class right now, and I'm getting a 72. I realized just today that the reason why I'm doing so poorly is because I'm good at calculations, but not questions that involve even more thinking.

For instance, one question gave us some information about aluminum reacting with oxygen to form aluminum oxide, and it asked why the enthalpy of reaction for this reaction is not detectable, even though the reaction is exothermic and it has a large enthalpy change.

How would you approach questions like this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
airbusman said:
one question gave us some information about aluminum reacting with oxygen to form aluminum oxide, and it asked why the enthalpy of reaction for this reaction is not detectable

Actually I have no idea what the question is about, can you post a complete wording?

Here it is:

"Aluminum is a reactive, self-protecting metal used to make doors, windows, and siding for houses. It reacts quickly with O2 to form an impervious coating of aluminum oxide, that prevents O2 from reacting any further with the aluminum. This reaction is unnoticeable even though the reaction shown below indicates a large enthalpy change. Why is the enthalpy of reaction not detectable?"

4Al(s) + 3O2(g) → 2Al2O3(s) +33351.4 kJ

How thick is the oxide layer?

You should show your teacher some burning aluminium powder.

What is the best approach to solving questions that involve lots of theory and no calculations?

The best approach to solving these types of questions is to first make sure you have a solid understanding of the theory and concepts involved. This may involve reviewing notes, textbooks, or other resources. Then, carefully read and analyze the question to identify the key concepts and relationships that are being tested. From there, you can use critical thinking and logical reasoning to come up with a solution.

How can I break down complex theories into more manageable parts when solving a question?

One helpful strategy is to break down the theory into smaller, more digestible chunks. This can involve creating visual aids, such as diagrams or flowcharts, to help you better understand the relationships between different concepts. You can also try summarizing the theory in your own words or discussing it with a classmate or teacher to gain a deeper understanding.

What can I do if I am struggling to understand a particular theory or concept?

If you are having difficulty understanding a theory or concept, don't be afraid to seek help from your teacher or a classmate. They may be able to provide additional explanations or examples that can help clarify the concept for you. Additionally, you can try finding online resources or videos that explain the theory in different ways to see if a different approach helps you understand it better.

How important is it to have a strong foundation in theory when solving questions?

Having a strong foundation in theory is crucial when solving questions that involve no calculations. Without a solid understanding of the theory, it will be difficult to accurately analyze and solve the question. Furthermore, understanding the theory can also help you make connections to other related concepts and apply your knowledge in a broader context.

What are some tips for staying organized and efficient when solving questions with lots of theory?

One tip is to read the question carefully and underline or highlight important information and key concepts. This will help you stay focused and avoid missing important details. It can also be helpful to make a brief outline or plan before starting to solve the question, so you have a clear idea of the steps you need to take. Additionally, make sure to show all your work and clearly explain your thought process, as this will not only help you stay organized but also make it easier to check your work for accuracy.