Muon Decay Width Correction: Derivation & Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the muon decay width, which involves evaluating a Feynman diagram and integrating over the energies and angles of all three decay products. Neglecting the mass of the electron simplifies the calculation, resulting in the answer from class notes. However, the "corrected" version in Wikipedia includes a correction factor that takes into account the mass of the electron. This factor is obtained by extending the Feynman diagram literature to loop level and performing integrals over loop momentum. These phase space corrections are not loop corrections, but rather they account for the tiny mass of the electron.
Catria
In my class notes, the muon decay width is:

[itex]\Gamma_\mu=\frac{G^2_F m^5_\mu}{192\pi^3}[/itex]

Yet, in Wikipedia (take that for what it's worth) it says that, once the corrections have been applied, the muon decay width takes the form:

[itex]\Gamma_\mu=\frac{G^2_F m^5_\mu}{192\pi^3}I\left(\frac{m^2_e}{m^2_\mu}\right)[/itex]

where

[itex]I(x)=1-8x-12x^2 ln(x)+8x^3+x^4[/itex] is a correction factor.

I wonder how does one arrive at that correction factor. If it is possible to get enough steps so that someone could understand its origin, as well as understanding its derivation, it would be very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Catria, The muon decay rate is calculated from evaluation of a Feynman diagram -- simple in principle but complicated in practice. Here's a paper describing in general terms how one does it. (Note especially Eq 44.) The calculation for muon decay involves a three-particle final state, and the energies and angles of all three decay products must be integrated over to get the total decay rate.

It simplifies a lot if you neglect the mass of the electron, giving the answer from your class notes. The "corrected" version in Wikipedia is the full result.

Note that (me/mμ)² << 1, so that I(x)≈I(0)=1.

Like bill says, as you probably know from your post, you calculate the amplitude at tree level. Then one can improve the calculation by adding the correction factor.

Of course one first calculates the largest correction first.

To do this, you have to extend the Feynman diagram literature to loop level and perform integrals over loop momentum.

In decays, these are regularized by the massive exchange particle. Anyway, it is these loop integrals that give you these ratios and logarithms.

These are not loop corrections. These are phase space corrections - due to the fact that the electron has a tiny mass. These have the wrong dimensionality to be loop corrections.

Oops. I should have looked at the link before replying.

1. What is the derivation of the Muon Decay Width Correction?

The Muon Decay Width Correction is derived from the Standard Model of particle physics, specifically from the electroweak theory. It takes into account the interactions between the muon and other particles, such as electrons and neutrinos, in order to accurately calculate the decay width of the muon.

2. Why is the Muon Decay Width Correction necessary?

The Muon Decay Width Correction is necessary in order to correct for the effects of virtual particles in the muon decay process. These virtual particles, which are constantly popping in and out of existence, can influence the decay rate of the muon and therefore need to be accounted for in order to obtain accurate results.

3. How does the Muon Decay Width Correction affect experimental measurements?

The Muon Decay Width Correction can have a significant impact on experimental measurements of the muon decay width. Without taking into account this correction, experimental results may differ from theoretical predictions and could lead to incorrect conclusions about the underlying physics.

4. What is the origin of the Muon Decay Width Correction?

The origin of the Muon Decay Width Correction lies in the concept of renormalization in quantum field theory. Renormalization allows for the cancellation of infinities that arise in calculations involving virtual particles, and the Muon Decay Width Correction is a specific application of this concept.

5. Are there any ongoing research efforts related to the Muon Decay Width Correction?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to further refine the Muon Decay Width Correction and to explore its implications for other areas of particle physics. This correction is also being studied in relation to other particles, such as the tau and bottom quark, in order to better understand their decay processes and interactions with other particles.