Quantifying an Off-axis Neutrinos (probability and intensity)

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantification of the scattering of neutrinos from the axis of a high energy proton beam experiment. The participant has questions about determining the probability and intensity of neutrino scattering at a given angle from the incident axis. They also mention the complexity of modelling the deviation of muon flight direction from the proton direction and the need to consider angular and energy distributions in the muon rest frame before transforming back to the lab frame.
Rodger
Quantifying an "Off-axis" Neutrinos (probability and intensity)

Considering the modelling of a high energy proton beam neutrino experiment. I have questions concerning the scattering of neutrinos from the axis of the proton beam.

I understand that a muon beam (derived from a proton beam) incident on a target causes the muons to decay in part into (muon) neutrinos which are scattered from the initial axis of the muon and proton beams.

I can quantify the energies of the muons and neutrinos with respect to the angle that they scatter in.

1) How might I go about quantifying the probability that neutrinos are scattered at a given angle from the incident axis?

2) How might I then go about quantifying the intensity of the scattered neutrinos at a given angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
I never saw numbers for that, but I would expect that neutrino scattering is negligible.

The flight direction of muons can deviate from the proton direction (probably complicated to model), and the neutrino emission does not have to happen exactly in the flight direction of the muons: go to the muon rest frame, find the angular distribution (uniform? Or do we have some spin to consider?) and the energy distribution (3-body decay), transform back to the lab frame.

Likes 1 person

1. What is an off-axis neutrino?

An off-axis neutrino is a neutrino that is produced at an angle away from the beam direction of a particle accelerator or other neutrino source. This means that it has a different trajectory and energy compared to neutrinos that are produced directly in line with the beam.

2. Why is it important to quantify off-axis neutrinos?

Off-axis neutrinos can provide valuable information about the source of the neutrinos and the underlying physics processes that produce them. By quantifying their probability and intensity, scientists can better understand the properties of the neutrinos and the mechanisms behind their production.

3. How is the probability of off-axis neutrinos calculated?

The probability of off-axis neutrinos is calculated using theoretical models and simulations, as well as data from experiments. These calculations take into account factors such as the energy and direction of the original particle beam, the distance from the source, and the properties of the surrounding materials.

4. What factors affect the intensity of off-axis neutrinos?

The intensity of off-axis neutrinos can be affected by a variety of factors, including the energy of the original particle beam, the distance from the source, and the density of the materials that the neutrinos pass through. The angle at which the neutrinos are produced can also impact their intensity.

5. How can off-axis neutrinos be detected and measured?

Off-axis neutrinos can be detected and measured using specialized detectors, such as neutrino telescopes or particle detectors. These detectors are designed to capture and analyze the properties of neutrinos, including their energy and direction of travel. Scientists can then use this data to quantify the off-axis neutrinos and study their characteristics.