What could cause this light effect?

In summary: DaveIn summary, the sun is behind the building and the glow is caused by a sun dog. The photo was taken in the US and the time and date were not provided. The latitude and longitude were not provided. The angle of the objects from south was not provided.
guysensei1
302041ac-3870-4b28-9e6f-462bf7223f8d_zpsbcc8ead3.jpg

Not sure if it is the right forum, but anyways,

In this image, the sun is to the left. What causes the glow at the middle?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
is that 22° ?

A sun dog brighter than the sun itself?

I think it far more likely that behind that ridge you will find a brightly lit shopping mall, athletic field, airfield, or some similar source of light.

A shopping mall brighter than the sun itself? I think it is far more likely that the sun is behind the building, and the visible light to the left is the sun dog.

cjl said:
A shopping mall brighter than the sun itself? I think it is far more likely that the sun is behind the building, and the visible light to the left is the sun dog.

that was my conclusion as well

Dave

cjl said:

Excellent point. I believe you've nailed it. I was misled by the OP"s assertion that the Sun was the light on the left.

I'm not convinced it is a sun dog. do a google image search and none look like this. I don't have another explanation though. You would think the centre light to be the Sun though.

unfortunately the OP'er hasnt returned

What I would like to know is ...

1) Did he/she take the photo or was it found somewhere ?
2) If they actually took the photo, was it visible to the eye or was it only seen in the photo?
that would determine if it was an artifact created in-camera ?

Dave

Chrispen Evan said:
I'm not convinced it is a sun dog. do a google image search and none look like this. I don't have another explanation though. You would think the centre light to be the Sun though.

it does look too sharp and defined for a sundog !

ohh my other thought following from my previous post

Question 3...

if the OP'er took the pic, was it taken through a window ?
if so, there may have been a window on another building out of camera shot, that was reflecting and projecting the sun image onto the window through which the photo was taken ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=64971&stc=1&d=1387583937.gif

maybe not valid ... just thinking outside of the box :wink:

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• sun.GIF
    sun.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 541
Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm pretty sure the light on the left is the sun. It's been very cloudy these days so I can't get a picture.

Perhaps the glow is simply a break in the clouds?

what were the time and date?

what were the latitude and longitude?

what were the angles of the two objects from south? (and in particular, is the angle between them 22 degrees?)

1. What is the source of the light effect?

The source of the light effect could be natural, such as sunlight or moonlight, or artificial, such as a light bulb or LED. It could also be caused by a reflection or refraction of light from a surface or object.

2. Could it be caused by a chemical reaction?

Yes, certain chemical reactions can produce light, known as bioluminescence or chemiluminescence. This could be the cause of the light effect if it is observed in a dark environment.

3. Is it possible that it is due to a physical phenomenon?

Absolutely. Light effects can also be caused by physical phenomena such as diffraction, interference, or scattering of light. These can occur when light passes through different mediums or interacts with various structures.

4. Can human perception affect the appearance of the light effect?

Yes, human perception can play a role in how a light effect is perceived. Factors such as the color of the light, its intensity, and the background against which it is viewed can all influence our perception of the light effect.

5. Are there any other possible explanations for the light effect?

There could be many other potential causes for a light effect. Some other factors to consider could be electrical or magnetic fields, atmospheric conditions, or optical illusions. It may require further investigation and experimentation to determine the exact cause of a light effect.