Electromagnet directly connected to power supply not working

In summary: Recently, I made an electromagnet by winding copper wire (length: 4m) around a metal screw. The power supply was from a mobile phone charger (5V). When I connected the electromagnet in series with a 10 ohms resistor, it worked fine, but when I connected it directly across the 5V supply, it ceased to function. Just to test the connecttions, I connected an LED in series and it also glowed; however, after removing the LED and then again directly connecting the winding with the power supply, the electromagnet didn't work. Did this several times.
QwertyXP
Recently, I made an electromagnet by winding copper wire (length: 4m) around a metal screw. The power supply was from a mobile phone charger (5V).

Here's the issue:

When I connected the electromagnet in series with a 10 ohms resistor, it worked fine (attracted nearby metal objects), but when I connected it directly across the 5V supply, it ceased to function! Just to test the connecttions, I connected an LED in series and it also glowed; however, after removing the LED and then again directly connecting the winding with the power supply, the electromagnet didn't work (tried this a few times).

- What could the reason be?
- The energy of an inductor 0.5*LI^2, so increasing the current should have actually made the magnet stronger!?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's broken ... if you return to the original setup (series with 10Ohm resister) does it start attracting stuff again?

I'm guessing that your power supply has short circuit protection, and your coil of wire had a low enough resistance to trigger it.

either that or the coil was damaged by the large currents - or both.

It worked again after I re-connected it with the 100 ohms resistor. Did this several times.

My power supply was a 5V Nokia mobile phone charger. Do mobile phone chargers usually have overload/short-circuit protection?

QwertyXP said:
Do mobile phone chargers usually have overload/short-circuit protection?

Yes, to stop them self-destructing, and/or catching fire, when people abuse them.

If you measure the resistance of the EM Coil you should be able to calculate the current for the 5V supply and see if it exceeds the supply's ratings. If you do not have a meter - you can look up the wire's resistance per unit length - and calculate the resistance. -- in fact you could/should do both and compare the calculated with the measured results. Lastly - with a voltmeter - measure the voltage from the supply as you connect the EM Coil - does it go to Zero V?

QwertyXP said:
When I connected the electromagnet in series with a 10 ohms resistor, it worked fine...

QwertyXP said:
It worked again after I re-connected it with the 100 ohms resistor...

Was it 10 or 100 ohms?

Either way, you might try reducing the resistor to get more current, if you can. Just make sure the resistor's power rating is sufficient if you do this.

Check the amp rating (I) on the charger (likely 1A or 2A). At 5V output, the resistance R it could handle is 5/I (remember V=I*R ? ). Your wire must have a resistance R the same or greater than this. Your R will be r per foot * (length in feet). Ignore the inductance for this. Make sure the wire you use is insulated, otherwise you will short it out to itself when winding it and it will fail. Magnet wire is best, as it has very thin insulation, but normal wire will also work.

1. Why is my electromagnet not working when directly connected to a power supply?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure that the power supply is providing the correct voltage and amperage for your electromagnet. If it is not, the electromagnet may not have enough power to function properly. Additionally, check the wires and connections to ensure they are secure and not damaged. It is also possible that the electromagnet itself is damaged or faulty.

2. Can I use any power supply for my electromagnet?

No, it is important to use a power supply that is suitable for your specific electromagnet. Using a power supply with the wrong voltage or amperage could damage the electromagnet or cause it not to work at all.

3. Why is my electromagnet making a loud buzzing noise when connected to a power supply?

This could be a sign of too much current flowing through the electromagnet. Check the amperage of your power supply and make sure it is not exceeding the maximum amperage for your electromagnet. If it is, you may need to use a power supply with a lower amperage or add a resistor to reduce the current.

4. How do I know if my electromagnet is working properly?

You can test the strength of your electromagnet by using a compass or placing small metal objects near the magnet. If the compass needle is deflected or the metal objects are attracted to the magnet, then it is working properly. You can also measure the voltage and amperage using a multimeter to ensure they are within the recommended range for your electromagnet.

5. What should I do if my electromagnet is not working even though everything seems to be connected correctly?

If you have checked all of the connections and the power supply is providing the correct voltage and amperage, then it is possible that the electromagnet is damaged or faulty. You may need to replace it or have it repaired by a professional.