What can I do with Chemical engineering?

In summary, Zach is interested in Chemical engineering but is concerned about working in industries such as oil/gas and pharmaceuticals. He is considering environmental engineering and working in areas like sanitation or wastewater to make a positive impact on the environment. He is open to working in the public sector or for a large corporation in their environmental department. Some advice is given to consider civil engineering as an alternative.
zachucsd
Hello,
I am concerned for my future.
I am interested in Chemical engineering as a subject, but the idea of spending my career making chemicals, being in oil/gas, or even in pharmaceuticals depresses me.

I would like to get involved with environmental engineering, or work in sanitation or wastewater.
Is this possible? How easy is it?

I think I would be happy in the public sector, but if not, I would also be happy working for a large corporation in their environmental department, just to feel that I am doing a good thing for the environment.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Regards,
Zach

Physics news on Phys.org
You can feel good about yourself by finding things that are *less* damaging to the environment, without necessarily finding things that are completely benign (though that's the best outcome)... Replacing some current extremely toxic compounds with some slightly toxic would be good trade IMHO.

zachucsd said:
Hello,
I am concerned for my future.
I am interested in Chemical engineering as a subject, but the idea of spending my career making chemicals, being in oil/gas, or even in pharmaceuticals depresses me.

I would like to get involved with environmental engineering, or work in sanitation or wastewater.

I think I would be happy in the public sector, but if not, I would also be happy working for a large corporation in their environmental department, just to feel that I am doing a good thing for the environment.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Regards,
Zach

Why not just do environmental engineering? ChemE's can do it, just rather smelly work. Environmental Engineering is typically an easier degree

Chem Es can do a ton of stuff. Lots of engineering grads can. It would be really tough to find a person with an engineering degree from a well-ranked school that can't handle the baisics.

zachucsd said:

Regards,
Zach
Actually, what you describe is more "civil engineering."

What Civil Engineers Do
Civil engineers design, construct, supervise, operate, and maintain large construction projects and systems, including roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/civil-engineers.htm

What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to solve problems related to the production and use of chemicals, materials, and energy.

What industries can I work in with a degree in chemical engineering?

Chemical engineers can work in a wide range of industries including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, oil and gas, environmental protection, and materials manufacturing.

What job opportunities are available for chemical engineers?

Chemical engineers can work in various roles such as process engineers, research and development scientists, quality control analysts, project managers, and consultants.

What skills are important for a career in chemical engineering?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and a solid understanding of chemistry and mathematics are important for success in chemical engineering. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are essential for working in a team environment.

What is the future outlook for chemical engineering jobs?

The job outlook for chemical engineers is positive, with an expected growth rate of 4% from 2019-2029. This is in line with the average growth rate for all occupations. The demand for chemical engineers will continue to be driven by the need for new materials and processes in various industries.