Check if the complex function is differentiable

In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiability of a complex function involving the absolute value and square root. The Cauchy-Riemann equations are used to analyze the function, but it is concluded that the function is not defined at (0,0) and therefore the equations may not be applicable. However, using the definition of a complex derivative, it is shown that the function is differentiable at z=0.
Fabio010
The question is to check where the following complex function is differentiable.

[tex]w=z \left| z\right|[/tex]

[tex]w=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} (x+i y)[/tex]

[tex]u = x\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
[tex]v = y\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
Using the Cauchy Riemann equations

[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial x}u=\frac{\partial }{\partial y}v[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial y}u=-\frac{\partial }{\partial x}v[/tex]

my results:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}=\frac{y^2}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}=0[/tex]

solutions says that it's differentiable at (0,0). But doesn't it blow at (0,0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you just plug in ##y=0## and ##x=0## you will get an indeterminate form which is meaningless. If you evaluate the limits, I think that you get all expressions equal to ##0##, but double check that.

Division by zero is not allowed in complex analysis, so your final equations are not defined at x=y=0. They are not equal.

FactChecker said:
Division by zero is not allowed in complex analysis, so your final equations are not defined at x=y=0. They are not equal.

That is true, but this function is differentiable at ##z=0##. If you evaluate the two limits along the real and imaginary axes (with ##h\in\mathbb{R}##)

[itex]
\displaystyle\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\displaystyle\frac{(0+0i+h)\left|(0+0i+h)\right|}{h}=0
[/itex]

[itex]
\displaystyle\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\displaystyle\frac{(0+0i+ih)\left|(0+0i+ih)\right|}{ih}=0
[/itex]

So the function is differentiable at ##0##. I don't remember enough from my complex analysis course (which had a number of students who had not taken real analysis, so it was a bit less rigorous than some courses) to reconcile this. My recollection is that the limits of the Cauchy-Riemann equations could be evaluated, but a quick look online showed that my recollection was incorrect. Perhaps, since the partial derivatives are undefined at 0 the Cauchy-Riemann equations are not applicable?

DrewD said:
That is true, but this function is differentiable at ##z=0##. If you evaluate the two limits along the real and imaginary axes (with ##h\in\mathbb{R}##)

[itex]
\displaystyle\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\displaystyle\frac{(0+0i+h)\left|(0+0i+h)\right|}{h}=0
[/itex]

[itex]
\displaystyle\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\displaystyle\frac{(0+0i+ih)\left|(0+0i+ih)\right|}{ih}=0
[/itex]

So the function is differentiable at ##0##. I don't remember enough from my complex analysis course (which had a number of students who had not taken real analysis, so it was a bit less rigorous than some courses) to reconcile this. My recollection is that the limits of the Cauchy-Riemann equations could be evaluated, but a quick look online showed that my recollection was incorrect. Perhaps, since the partial derivatives are undefined at 0 the Cauchy-Riemann equations are not applicable?

I would use the definition of the derivative as a difference quotient to show it's differentiable at z=0.

Yes, but ##w(0)=0##, so I left it out.

DrewD said:
Yes, but ##w(0)=0##, so I left it out.

Sure, I'm just saying there is no need work along any particular axes. The complex derivative f'(0) is defined by the limit |h|->0 of (f(0+h)-f(0))/h where h is complex. You can also conclude that that is zero.

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

Differentiability is a property of a function that indicates its smoothness. A differentiable function has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain, meaning that it has a unique tangent line at that point.

2. How do you check if a complex function is differentiable?

To check if a complex function is differentiable, you need to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations state that a function is differentiable at a point if and only if its partial derivatives at that point satisfy a certain set of conditions.

3. What are the conditions for a complex function to be differentiable?

The conditions for a complex function to be differentiable are that its partial derivatives must exist and be continuous, and they must satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations: ux = vy and uy = -vx, where u(x,y) and v(x,y) are the real and imaginary parts of the function, respectively.

4. Can a complex function be differentiable at a single point?

Yes, a complex function can be differentiable at a single point. This is known as a removable singularity, where the function is not defined at that point but has a limit that can be extended to make it differentiable.

5. Are there any other methods for checking differentiability of a complex function?

Yes, there are other methods for checking differentiability of a complex function, such as using the Cauchy integral theorem or the Laurent series expansion. However, the Cauchy-Riemann equations are the most commonly used method for determining differentiability.