Creating homemade motion sensor to camera

In summary, the person is a student looking to create a motion sensor and camera for their doorway and is seeking ideas on how to get started. They do not want to buy a pre-made sensor and are looking to learn how to produce the product from scratch. However, another person suggests using a passive infrared (PIR) sensor and a smartphone with motion-sensing software as a cost-effective and efficient solution.
goonthortech
im a student working trying to start a project creating a motion sensor and camera outside my door way, was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how i should get started. i don't want to buy the sensor because i want to learn how to produce the product from scratch, any help would be great

Engineering news on Phys.org
goonthortech said:
im a student working trying to start a project creating a motion sensor and camera outside my door way, was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how i should get started. i don't want to buy the sensor because i want to learn how to produce the product from scratch, any help would be great

Welcome to the PF.

The keywords here are "passive infrared" (PIR) sensor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIR_sensor

:smile:

I needed to get a heads-up of neighbors coming to complain whenever I have a social gathering. I ended up simply using a smartphone as a wireless webcam for my computer (there is an app for that), and I downloaded some motion-sensing program for the computer. It compares each frame to the next and detects any changes, and it works pretty well. I even rigged it up to automatically shut down or reduce the music whenever it sensed someone coming. At the very least, it makes the neighbor think twice about his sanity, and it makes the subsequent negotiations easier.

Anyway, it was basically a software solution. The hardware is on-hand in pretty much any household.

1. What materials do I need to create a homemade motion sensor for my camera?

To create a homemade motion sensor for your camera, you will need a PIR (passive infrared) sensor, a microcontroller (such as an Arduino), a camera, jumper wires, and a power source (e.g. batteries or a USB cable).

2. How does a PIR sensor work in a motion sensor for a camera?

A PIR sensor detects changes in infrared radiation, which is emitted by all objects with a temperature above absolute zero. When an object moves within the sensor's range, it emits a heat signature that the sensor can detect, triggering the motion sensor to activate the camera.

3. Do I need any programming experience to create a homemade motion sensor for my camera?

Some basic programming knowledge is needed to create a homemade motion sensor for your camera. You will need to program the microcontroller to communicate with the PIR sensor and camera, and to set the parameters for when the camera should be triggered. However, there are many tutorials and resources available online to help you with the programming process.

4. Can I adjust the sensitivity and range of my homemade motion sensor for my camera?

Yes, you can adjust the sensitivity and range of your motion sensor by changing the settings on the PIR sensor and in your programming code. You may need to experiment with different settings to find the best sensitivity and range for your specific setup.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when creating a homemade motion sensor for my camera?

When working with electronic components, it is always important to take safety precautions. Make sure to turn off power sources before connecting or disconnecting components, and handle the components with care to avoid damage. Additionally, make sure to follow all instructions and safety guidelines provided with your specific components.