Electric motor contest - suggestions?

In summary, there is a contest to build an electric motor with limited materials for a bonus in an E&M class. The goal is to make the motor spin as fast as possible without any external load. There are discussions about the optimum coil size, winding techniques, and the use of magnets. Suggestions include using a low PM field flux density and making the magnets moveable to optimize for maximum speed. Other tips include using a circular commutator and avoiding iron in the coil. Overall, the key is to make the motor as light and small as possible.
Felix83
there is a contest to build an electric motor for which we can get some bonus points on the final in my E&M class. they give us a very limited kit and we can only use what comes in the kit which is a couple pieces of thick poster board, 6 feet of insulated wire, a couple paper clips, a couple tacks, and 2 magnets. the only object is to make the motor spin as fast as possible (no extra external load).

i pretty much have an idea of how i want to build it but I am unsure about a few things. what is the optimum coil size? the magnets are circular - should i wind the coil to have the same diameter as the magnets? i figure that if you make it smaller, it will have less area, but you can put the magnets closer to create a stronger field. conversly, if you make it bigger the magnets will have to be farther apart giving a weaker field but there will be more area - more flux. what do u guys think? also, does it matter how neat you wind the coil - any certain technique or pattern for winding it that will make it run faster? also any other suggestions are appreciated. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Felix83, for maximum “no-load” speed I think you need a low PM field flux density. That is because the back-emf is proportional to speed and flux, so you will match the supply voltage at lower rpm with a high field.
However, whilst there might be no external load, the motor will have to overcome its own friction, windage, etc, so it has to develop some power just to turn. Therefore, I think you should make the magnets moveable. Set them close to the coil(s) to get the thing going and to develop it, then gradually withdraw the magnets and “tweak” the set-up to optimize for maximum no-load speed.
I imagine you power source is DC from a battery so that you’ll need brushes. They are likely to cause the largest friction loss. (I used candle wax to lubricate mine. I’d rub it all off, but enough seemed to remain, and it didn’t accumulate dust – which is an insulator – like oil or “short” the segments like graphite.) Their contact pressure can be minimized by reducing bounce (so fix up a circular commutator if you can) and by needing the minimum current. The latter would probably favour more turns, but they would increase the windage and out-of-balance drag. The less the turns, the less the back-emf, so I’d arrange that you could remove some turns during development.
Since you are not seeking power, don’t use any iron in the coil(s) since that would increase their electrical time constant. If the coil is rotating, consider winding a non-circular one and then working it (between your fingers or wood, but not enough to damage the insulation and cause a disastrous “shorted turn”) into a narrow cylindrical armature. Could you possibly glue stub shafts to the ends of the coil to save having iron passing through the centre?
Don’t bite off more than you can chew, though. Good luck!

To make the motor turn as quickly as possible, you'll obviously want the part that spins to be as light as possible. So, you're going to want to make the motor as small as possible.

There is a trade-off because you'll want to have enough angular momentum to keep the motor spinning once it starts.

I'd consider starting with something like:
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~palmer/motor.html

but you'll almost certainly want to improve on that a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I choose the best design for my electric motor?

When selecting a design for your electric motor, consider factors such as efficiency, size, power output, and cost. You may also want to research different types of motors, such as brushed or brushless, to determine which would work best for your specific application.

2. What materials should I use to build my electric motor?

The materials you choose will depend on your design and budget. Common materials for electric motor construction include copper wire, magnets, steel, and plastic. It is important to select materials that are durable and have the necessary properties for efficient motor operation.

3. How can I increase the power and speed of my electric motor?

To increase the power and speed of your electric motor, you can adjust the voltage and current supplied to it. You can also optimize the design and materials used, such as using stronger magnets or increasing the number of coils in the motor. However, be cautious as increasing power and speed also increases the risk of overheating and damaging the motor.

4. Can I use renewable energy sources to power my electric motor?

Yes, electric motors can be powered by renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, or hydro power. However, it is important to match the power output of the motor with the energy source to ensure efficient operation.

5. How can I make my electric motor more eco-friendly?

To make your electric motor more eco-friendly, you can use sustainable materials in its construction, such as recycled plastic or sustainably sourced magnets. You can also optimize the motor's design and operation to reduce energy consumption and waste. Additionally, using renewable energy sources to power the motor can also make it more eco-friendly.