I just cut myself and I'm bleeding profusely

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary, Tribdog cuts himself with a golf ball and although he heals quickly, he is worried about getting infected. He recommends that people do not try this at home and motai suggests that the liquid in the golf ball might affect the trajectory.
tribdog
Quick someone ask me how I cut myself. anyone? anyone? I cut myself with a damn golf ball. Its a long story.
I'll start at the beginning. I'm sure everyone has opened up a golf ball and seen the rubber bands inside. I was showing someone the inside of a golf ball a few months ago and when it exploded and blew goo all over my face I realized that some golf balls have a liquid center. Ever since then I've been cutting open any golf balls I find. Most of the newer ones don't even have the rubber bands anymore they are solid, but I keep looking. tonight I was cutting open one and it slipped and the knife I was using sliced into two of my fingers fairly deep. I've found that when someone says they cut themselves to the bone they are usually lying. This is a deep cut, but no bone is exposed.

Physics news on Phys.org
first, bandage yourself. then, find more constructive uses of your time.

at any rate, you shouldn't be doing risky things like cutting golf balls, you can't afford the medical bills. you've got to put me through school!

What, they don't have the rubber bands anymore? I always thought the insides of golf balls were cool.

I hope you're keeping the cuts closed, unless you need stitches, holding the cut closed so the bleeding stops and keeping the pressure on for about an hour will work, then you need to bandage it up pretty good to keep it closed.

<sticks sterile gauze and tape into trib's computer>

although last time I used a paper towel to do this :redface: hey, it worked

Gale sorry for hanging up on you. my phone decided to die.

Evo thanks for the first aid tips. Luckily my boss just gave me a brand new first aid kit. 100 band-aids. 97 now.
I heal pretty fast. that's probably a good thing

Wow how do you cut open a golf ball i mean i cut open a baseball but they are like cloth

I love those rubberbands inside them, they are like giant rubber band balls for a lot more

This made my day.

I sympathize tribdog, only this week I got a huge gash from a refrigerator, my index finger is all wrapped up in bandaids. I can still type fine, fortunately. Watch out that you don't get infected, it's not fun.

Ignore the penguin. Their species is cold and flightless.

rachmaninoff said:
Ignore the penguin. Their species is cold and flightless.
Not that! They just don't know what finger is!:wink:

The majority of cuts that occur in the home (non-work related) are the result of trying to convert vacuum cleaners into hovercraft.

JCCol said:
Wow how do you cut open a golf ball i mean i cut open a baseball but they are like cloth
I believe you've found the flaw in the plan. I was half expecting the sharp edges of the golf ball were to blame as I was reading the explanation.

I have seen cuts all the way to the bone, but you'd definitely be at the ER getting stitches if that happened. Cuts on the fingers are the worst kind though...they really hurt! The good news is that if you bled profusely, the cut probably cleaned itself out pretty well. Nonetheless, watch out for any signs of infection.

By the way, how much of a scar did you wind up with from your pencil stab wound from last year?

Whoa jeez, that SOOOO makes me what to buy ten golf balls and cut them open.

Its the tribdogs and Gales that will keep me in business :blushing:

cronxeh said:
Its the tribdogs and Gales that will keep me in business :blushing:

what did i do? i don't cut myself doing silly things like look at the insides of balls!

hmm... liquid filled golf balls..

Imagine what would happen if you put them in a microwave :bugeye:

Actually, to those who are reading, do not try it. The outcome isn't probably good..

I honestly don't see the physics in this. I mean the momentum is conserved.. so the only thing center of mass shifted ball would have is not even air resistance due to shape change.. I mean how does the liquid actually affect the trajectory?

motai said:
hmm... liquid filled golf balls..
Imagine what would happen if you put them in a microwave :bugeye:
Oh boy! What a cool idea! Thanks, motai!

Sure, it's all fun until someone puts an eye out. :grumpy:

btw, has anyone seen tribdog since motai suggested that?

I haven't heard a peep from him since I PM'd and told him that I had done the experiment and how cool it was, and how the golf balls made a glow like a mini aurora borealis with amazing pink and green colors. I also haven't had a chance to write him back and tell him that that was all a lie because I actually don't have any golfballs laying around.

Eggs are good in the microwave too. And batteries. Well, make sure its somebody else's microwave.

tribdog said:
This is a deep cut, but no bone is exposed.
About 24 hours late, but I heard that superglue really works for cuts.

EnumaElish said:

It dose and fairly good. It was what emergency field medics used in Nam for some cuts.

EnumaElish said:
Professional bowlers, keep superglue in their bag so if they get a cut on their finger they can smear it on. Superglue is not obstructing like a bandage, self-detaching, stop bleeding, the cut heals faster.

Mk said:
Professional bowlers, keep superglue in their bag so if they get a cut on their finger they can smear it on. Superglue is not obstructing like a bandage, self-detaching, stop bleeding, the cut heals faster.

How effective are those liquid bandages they have now?

I dunno, but isn't superglue cheaper?

... but its superglue...

I wasn't sure if you were making a joke are not. I mean, it was one of the jokes that is so not funny, you aren't sure if A) Its a joke or B) If you got it or not.

tahyeeeaaah...

Pengwuino said:
... but its superglue...
Superglue, and those liquid bandages, are all cyanoacrylates, but I think the newer liquid bandages are a different form of cyanoacrylate (apparently they come in different polymer lengths...we discussed this very briefly in biology a bit of time ago...maybe over the summer...if only the search feature was working properly around here). Superglue can be irritating to skin, but the liquid bandages are made out of a form that's less irritating, supposedly.

Golf balls are interesting in their flight characteristics. The dimple patterns were added to the balls after people playing with smooth, undimpled balls noticed that they flew better after the club scored and cut the coveres.

The wound centers are not as common anymore because they are harder to control, the winding compresses and distorts the shape when hit imparting increased spin to the ball. Spin makes the ball hook or slice if struck incorrectly, however, if placed well, it adds lift, "draw (intentional slight hook to add distance)," and "bite" on the green.

THe solid centers don't spin as much, are more elastic so the impact is translated into distance. Generally they fly farther and straighter, but will over-run greens (less bite), don't lift as well out of roughs, and are a little harder to putt with control.

Pros often opt for a three piece ball (the wound type) because they can still get the distance and the wound ball gives more feel.

Holy crap, my microwave is destroyed.

tribdog said:
Holy crap, my microwave is destroyed.
Use some superglue.

What happens when you microwave a tube of superglue?

You get a room full of hot, wet, sticky things.

Mk said:
You get a room full of hot, wet, sticky things.
I bet that happens wherever Evo goes. :!) :tongue2: :tongue:

Someone give him the Heimlich!

Entropy said:
Someone give him the Heimlich!
You want what licked? Talk about hot and sticky...ohhhh the Heimlich. Nevermind. :tongue: