Compare acceleration to free fall acceleration

In summary, the conversation discussed a one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration and the question of finding the acceleration of a space capsule launched from a 220m long cannon with a launch speed of 10.97km/s. The speaker initially had trouble solving the problem, but later realized that they needed to use a kinematic equation. They also mentioned that there is an equation with the initial velocity, final velocity, distance, and acceleration as variables, allowing for the unknown acceleration to be solved for.
parttime
i have this problem i can't seem to get i think i am overthinking but just can't get it what is. this is a one dimensional motion with constant acceleration.what is the acceleration of a space capsule fired from a 220m long cannon with a launch speed of 10.97km/s

Physics news on Phys.org
where is the capsule fired from?

Last edited:
Nevermind I've got it now. If you assume the launch speed it the velocity at the then off the barrel you need to use a kinematic equation. Can you think of which one you will need?

You know that the initial velocity, the final velocity and the distance that it went, there is an equation with those three variables and the acceleration. with that you have an equation with one unknown.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. The unit of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How does acceleration differ from free fall acceleration?

Acceleration is a general term that describes any change in an object's velocity, while free fall acceleration specifically refers to the acceleration of an object falling under the influence of gravity. In free fall, the acceleration is constant and equal to 9.8 m/s².

4. Is acceleration always equal to free fall acceleration?

No, acceleration can vary depending on the circumstances. For example, an object rolling down a ramp will have a different acceleration than an object falling freely under gravity. However, in the absence of other forces, all objects experience a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s² due to gravity.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration and free fall acceleration?

Some examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a rollercoaster going over a loop, and a rocket launching into space. Free fall acceleration can be observed when objects such as a ball or a feather are dropped from a height and fall towards the ground due to the force of gravity.