Summation Equation, Trying to solve this recurrence forumla.

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving predicting the number of cups to be hit in beer pong based on shot percentage. The formula for the number of cups per round is a recursive formula involving extra turns. This can be reduced to a summation equation, which can be solved using probability calculations. The desired number can be found by multiplying the probability of getting a certain number of cups with the number of cups and summing for all possible outcomes. The final formula is a/(1-a).
bobbybob
Hello. I've searched around a bit for a math forum where I could get help with this and this seems like the one I found where I could get some help with this. I was posed the following problem. Now I must admit it is over my head (as is most of the math on this forum) I was hoping that someone here could help give me an answer for this person. Or if not an answer, a reason why his probem makes no sense.

I want to predict the number of cups to be hit in beer pong each round, based upon shot percentage.

It's not just number of shots * percentage, because if you make 2 shots in a row, you get an extra turn. Even your extra turns can get extra turns..

Therefore, Number of cups per round is the recursive formula

C(t) = C(a^2 * t) + 2at where 0 < a < 1 for accuracy

So if you want to find the number of cups in 1 round, calculate c(1)
This can actually be reduced to the summation equation

for i = 0 to infinity -> 2a^(2i+1)

How do I solve this summation and get a formula?
I'd really appreciate it,

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You either miss your first shot, OR make your first and miss the next, OR make your first two and miss the next OR ... OR make the first n and miss the next OR ...

The probability that you make the first n and miss the next is an(1-a).

So what you want is the sum of (getting n cups) x (probability of getting n cups) for all n, i.e.:

[tex]\sum _{n=0}^{\infty}na^n(1-a) = (1-a)\sum _{n=0}^{\infty}na^n = (1-a)\sum _{n=1}^{\infty}na^n = a(1-a)\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}na^{n-1} = a(1-a)f'(a)[/tex]

where

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x^n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n - 1 = \frac{1}{1-x} - 1 = \frac{x}{1-x}[/tex]

So

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{(1-x) - x(-1)}{(1-x)^2} = \frac{1}{(1-x)^2}[/tex]

So

[tex]f'(a) = \frac{1}{(1-a)^2}[/tex]

Finally, the desired number is:

[tex]a(1-a)\frac{1}{(1-a)^2} = \frac{a}{1-a}[/tex]

thank you very much

1. What is a summation equation?

A summation equation is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of a series of terms. It is denoted by the symbol Σ and is commonly used to express a pattern or relationship in a sequence of numbers.

2. How do I solve a summation equation?

To solve a summation equation, you first need to identify the pattern or relationship among the terms. Then, use that information to determine the number of terms in the series and the values of each term. Finally, plug those values into the summation equation and simplify to find the final answer.

3. What is a recurrence formula?

A recurrence formula, also known as a recurrence relation, is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of terms in terms of previous terms in the sequence. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of a system or process over time.

4. How do I solve a recurrence formula?

To solve a recurrence formula, you can use various methods such as substitution, iteration, or generating functions. These methods involve finding a closed-form solution, which is a direct expression for the sequence without any recursive definitions.

5. Can a summation equation and a recurrence formula be used together?

Yes, a summation equation and a recurrence formula can be used together to express a relationship between a series of terms that follows a recursive pattern. The summation equation can be used to represent the final sum of the terms, while the recurrence formula can be used to describe the relationship among the terms.