Prospects of Chemical Engineering

In summary, the main outstanding problems in materials research are likely to include computational multiscale work for material properties, special fields like biomaterials, nanomaterials, smart materials, polymers & composites (in general, and the exotic applications), and many fields under corrosion & environmental behavior, high temperature behavior, damage & failure etc.
Bladibla
Hi

I've recently applied for Chemical engineering at UMIST (Or Manchester university) to, in my mind at the moment, research properties of materials relating to its physical properties, and conductivity.

So I would like to ask: What are the current main 'outstanding' problems in materials reasearch? Any information would be grateful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
UMIST ... perhaps at some point you'll get to know Prof. Andy Sherry, an old acquintance who left there to run the Materials Performance Centre (I think that's what it's called...). Great place anyways.

I think answering your question is really difficult, but if I write something to get started perhaps others will run to make better replies :biggrin: .

The simple answer would be 'everything' of course, but to point out something 'close to home', I'd say computational multiscale work for material properties is a successful field which is likely going to gain more and more importance as its successes continue pile up (like [computational] quantum chemistry). Special fields like biomaterials, nanomaterials, smart materials, polymers & composites (in general let alone the exotic appls) will probably enjoy continued interest as 'specific' areas of research (+new interesting alloys & materials seem to surface at a consistent pace). Many (or really "all") fields under corrosion & environmental behavior, high temperature behavior, damage & failure etc. etc. of materials don't really seem to be showing symptoms of slowing down ... requirements for materials advance and in the process enable "weird" applications with harsh demands for ever better properties. Any way to narrow this a bit?

I think PerennialII covered all the areas. Basically any area in materials is still hot with R&D. I'll look in some of my resources to find some specific areas.

Can't answer the question, but...

You've made a cracking choice, especially since UMIST has now merged with The University of Manchester. The materials science centre there is amongst the top in the country, and while chem eng isn't part of that facility, they work so closely together that they it may as well be.

You'll come across Tracy North too at some point (you probably already have), get to know her, she's an extremely useful member of admin staff to know!

Why not just study materials science/engineering instead of chemical engineering ? Unless the curriculum has changed in 5 years chemical engineering was mostly designing distillation columns, chemical reactors, and heat exchangers.

Best Regards

Modey3

What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the application of chemical, physical, and biological processes to convert raw materials into useful products. It combines principles of chemistry, physics, biology, and math to design, develop, and operate industrial processes that involve the production of chemicals, fuels, pharmaceuticals, and other products.

What are the career prospects for chemical engineers?

The career prospects for chemical engineers are quite promising, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Chemical engineers can find employment in various industries, including chemical manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, and materials processing. They can work in research and development, process design and optimization, production, and project management.

What skills are required to become a successful chemical engineer?

To become a successful chemical engineer, one needs to have a strong foundation in chemistry, physics, and math. Additionally, skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are crucial. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals in the industry.

How does chemical engineering contribute to society?

Chemical engineering plays a critical role in improving the quality of life for society. It is involved in the production of essential products such as food, medicines, and clean energy sources. Chemical engineers also work towards developing sustainable and eco-friendly processes to minimize the impact on the environment. They also play a vital role in developing new materials and technologies that can improve various aspects of our lives, such as healthcare and transportation.

What are the current trends in the field of chemical engineering?

The field of chemical engineering is constantly evolving, with new technologies and processes emerging. Some of the current trends include the use of artificial intelligence and big data in process design and optimization, the development of sustainable and green processes, and the application of nanotechnology in various industries. There is also a growing focus on biotechnology and renewable energy sources in chemical engineering research and development.