I lost all faith in my education (mentally)

In summary: They were like "woah, he's taking forever, this is bullshit" In summary, the test took the person mentally grumpy, and they have a feeling of impending doom because they have to take another math class next summer.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
"I lost all faith in my education" (mentally)

I took a test in my Linear Algebra/Differential equations class today

Actually, the test took me :grumpy:

and it did a good job of chewing me up and spitting me out.

I'm guaranteed an F on it. I left that room feeling violated. 5 questions, most of which dealing with just 1 concept :mad: :mad: :mad:

ROAR!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sucks man. I have thermo on monday. I started studying yesterday. I raped the first one though, ba ha ha ha. 83%. Class avg 60%

The funny part was that someone told me after class that they saw the title of the book she was reading wihle we were taking the test. "How to be a better teacher" :grumpy:

Did you study?

Can she lend that book to my stat teacher?
(To his defense, his tests are a JOKE and he grades very EASY)

I studied a decent amount... but everything i studied for wasn't on the test! or most of it wasn't. It was just 5 problems as well so it was pretty much cherry-picked as to what was on the test.

I had to repeat that class (systems of DEs). My prof wanted us to solve 3 equation systems, but did not give partial credit for approach, to get points you had to get the ARITHMIC of solving a 3X3 matrix correct. In those days I was neither accurate or quick in doing arithmetic. Of course this was when programmable calculators where just coming on the market (1975). So we could not simply enter the numbers and push a button.

Integral said:
I had to repeat that class (systems of DEs). My prof wanted us to solve 3 equation systems, but did not give partial credit for approach, to get points you had to get the ARITHMIC of solving a 3X3 matrix correct. In those days I was neither accurate or quick in doing arithmetic. Of course this was when programmable calculators where just coming on the market (1975). So we could not simply enter the numbers and push a button.

We aren't allowed to use calculators so it's very possible to screw up your algebra during the matrix arithmatic

I did not use calculators either, but it was not necessary. But then again, my class was not both. I took a class in each. I guess you learned the hard way what a descent amount of studying gets you, a decent grade.

I had a precalculus test today. It was pretty easy (I didn't pay much attention in class because he started with complex numbers, so I zoned out thinking I didn't need to pay attention. Bad me.). As far as rape goes, I think this test raped a lot of people, since when the bell rang, NO ONE ran toward the door (I wasn't even positive class was over, despite the bell, because people leaving has always been my indicator!).

I have a pretty bad feeling about minoring in math... it's 2 more classes... but i still have a feeling i will die because of math.

Stop complaining. Math is SOOOO much easier than physics. I am seriously considering taking some extra math next summer for the hell of it. Maybe a course in PDE's or complex calculus. Advanced calculus seems like a good course; however, it's too formal and purely mathematics. It would be a waste of time really.

Last edited:
I was getting ready to raise objections myself, pattylou, as I read down the thread, but you covered it well. I wouldn't call you a party pooper. There's a lot of kids on the forum lately and things need to be explained.

edit: least I appear crazy, apparently pattylou deleted her post.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Stop complaining. Math is SOOOO much easier than physics. I am seriously considering taking some extra math next summer for the hell of it. Maybe a course in PDE's or complex calculus. Advanced calculus seems like a good course; however, it's too formal and purely mathematics. I would be a waste of time really.

Well of course its easier then physics but my god, i can't handle all this abstract crap. When the hell am i going to be modeling a system using the 6th derivative of something??

pattylou, you deleted your post, but I think you raised a very valid point. The word "rape" brings an act of violence to mind even for those that haven't been victimized.

6th derivative? Don't you mean second order systems? The abstract is the best part of math, buddy. Theory is the cool part. Who cares about solving problems, we have computers for that.

Two wrongs make a pengwunio.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Two wrongs make a pengwunio.

and 10 wrongs make a right according to one of my chemistry experiments a few weeks ago

This is why you get F's...

One time we had to find the molecular weight of an unknown via a titration lab. I took my time, and got it right to 0.1g :tongue: Damn I was happy. My teacher wrote, Excellent!

cyrusabdollahi said:
This is why you get F's...

In the abstract...

My math test are so bad I almost thought calling the police to report rape.

No offense, but only a fool can decide which is better... mathematics or physics.

JasonRox said:
No offense, but only a fool can decide which is better... mathematics or physics.

Physics is better :biggrin:

Huh? What do you mean? Who said one was better than the other?

scott1 said:
My math test are so bad I almost thought calling the police to report rape.
The jist of Pattylou's post was that using the word "rape" as a hyperbole for a bad experience with a test is not a good idea since it is very likely to be seen by someone who's either been raped or knows someone who has, and for those readers this usage is offensively casual.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Huh? What do you mean?

Or easier.

How can you make such an opinion?

Mathematics is easier?

zoobyshoe said:
The jist of Pattylou's post was that using the word "rape" as a hyperbole for a bad experience with a test is not a good idea since it is very likely to be seen by someone who's either been raped or knows someone who has, and for those readers this usage is offensively casual.
It was joke sorry:biggrin:

You ball buster.

:D

Let me put it this way, I found the math I took to be easier for me than the physics.

cyrusabdollahi said:
You ball buster.

Let me put it this way, I found the math I took to be easier for me than the physics.

Could this be because mathematics just makes more sense?

JasonRox said:
Could this be because mathematics just makes more sense?

What math are you talking about.

zoobyshoe said:
I was getting ready to raise objections myself, pattylou, as I read down the thread, but you covered it well. I wouldn't call you a party pooper. There's a lot of kids on the forum lately and things need to be explained.

edit: least I appear crazy, apparently pattylou deleted her post.
I figured Peng and Smash had seen it, and that it didn't need to stay up. But thank you for the note.

cyrusabdollahi said:
You ball buster.

yeah, that can be the case when on one hand you are doing simple algebra course and on the other some advanced quantum mechanics kind of course...

but how can we compare both...we try to apply maths to demonstrate beauty of nature

Evo said:
pattylou, you deleted your post, but I think you raised a very valid point. The word "rape" brings an act of violence to mind even for those that haven't been victimized.

I think comparing a failed test to rape is like comparing bush to hitler.

I certainly don't envy you your job on PF, but you might consider locking the thread. I'm sure someone could calculate the odds of how many women on PF have been raped.

pattylou said:
I certainly don't envy you your job on PF, but you might consider locking the thread. I'm sure someone could calculate the odds of how many women on PF have been raped.

Threads don't get locked for a couple of people's vague complaints and hypersensitivity.

Pengwuino said:
Threads don't get locked for a couple of people's vague complaints and hypersensitivity.
No, but they get locked when people continue to bicker over things like whether someone else is hypersensitive. You had your chance to gripe about your exam, now it's done.

Never! I shall complain about this class until I'm out of it, the professor is retired, and the building the class took place in has been destroyed.