Control SCR w/ Microprocessor & Opto Coupler

• Thread starter Waquas Mehmood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scr
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of controlling an SCR through a microprocessor using an opto coupler as an isolating and amplification device. The main concerns were the differences in current requirements and the timing accuracy needed for proper control. It was suggested that a current amplification stage would be necessary between the microprocessor and the SCR.
Waquas Mehmood
How can we control an SCR through a microprocessor with an opto coupler used as an 'isolating and amplification' device between the microprocessor and the SCR.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a homework question to me...

I agree. It'll probably get moved to the homework forum. Waquas, what do you know so far about how SCRs are driven and how they are used? What is unique about the SCR structure? How do you turn them on and off?

I have read much about SCRs, their turn on and turn off methods and characteristics. Also I know about triggering an scr (Firing circuits), etc. This question was posed by my teacher. He asked whether we can drive an scr through a microprocessor, i.e., control it by a microprocessor. The reason why this question was asked is actually because currents driven through a microprocessor are of the order of milliamperes and those through an scr are of the order of tens of amperes.

What is the trigger current and voltage typically? How do you shut off an SCR?

As for using a uC to control the gate, think about the timing accuracy required, and how you would accomplish that timing using a uC. Are you talking about controlling a 50-60Hz line frequency device? Or something more like a solenoid-based machine?

Since the microcontroller cannot handle the current that the SCR needs, you will need some sort of current amplification stage after the MCU. This could either be a transistor (easiest) or some sort of buffered driver. You can drive almost anything you want with an MCU aslong as you have the right output stage after it.

1. What is an SCR?

An SCR, or silicon-controlled rectifier, is a type of semiconductor device used for controlling high power electrical currents. It acts as a switch, allowing current to flow when triggered by a small control signal.

2. What is a microprocessor?

A microprocessor is a small electronic device that contains a central processing unit (CPU) and other components necessary for processing data and carrying out instructions. It is the "brain" of a computer or electronic system.

3. What is an opto coupler?

An opto coupler, also known as an optocoupler or photocoupler, is an electronic component that transmits electrical signals between two isolated circuits using light. It provides electrical isolation and can be used for signal amplification and noise reduction.

4. How does a microprocessor control an SCR?

The microprocessor sends a control signal to the opto coupler, which then transmits a light signal to the SCR. This light signal triggers the SCR to turn on or off, allowing the microprocessor to control the flow of current through the device.

5. What are the advantages of using a microprocessor to control an SCR?

Using a microprocessor allows for precise and flexible control of the SCR. It also allows for remote control and monitoring, as well as the ability to program and automate the operation of the SCR. Additionally, the use of an opto coupler provides electrical isolation, which can improve safety and reduce interference from other electrical components.