Charged Particle in Magnetic Field

In summary, to determine the magnitude of the net force acting on the charge in this problem, you need to write the vector equations for the forces produced by the electric and magnetic fields, and add them together using the right hand rule. Keep in mind that the net force will change with time due to the combined fields, resulting in some type of spiralling motion for the charged particle.
spoonthrower
A magnetic field has a magnitude of 1.2*10^-3 T, and an electric field has a magnitude of 5.4*10^3 N/C. Both fields point in the same direction. A positive 1.8*10^-6 C charge moves at a speed of 3.6*10^6 m/s in a direction that is perpendicular to both fields. Determine the magnitude of the net force that acts on the charge.

I know Force produced by electric field is F=qE
I know Force produced by magnetic field is F=Bqv

How do i do this problem?? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write the vector equations for those two forces. The first equation is easy to write in vector form (not much of a change), but be sure to include the cross product when you write the second equation in vector form. Once you have the two forces expressed as vectors, just align the problem with some coordinate system (like aim E and B along the z axis and fire the particle through the origin going in the x direction or something...

what is a cross product?? I don't understand. do i add the two forces together?? how do you write an equation in vector form?

spoonthrower said:
what is a cross product?? I don't understand. do i add the two forces together??

the cross product of B and v would be the product of their magnitudes and sine of the angle between them. This will result in a vector with a direction normal to both B and v (right hand rule).

Yes, essentially what you need to do is add the two forces together.

i figured it out. using the right hand rule, the electric field force and the magnetic force are 90 degrees from each other, so i used the pythagorean theorom to get the answer which is what i did initially but this online HW doesn't follow the right sig fig rules...i figured out the answer a long time ago. lol.

One other thing to keep in mind. The "net force" answer will change with time, so your calculation is only valid for the instant t=0. Charged particle motion in combined electric and magnetic fields is pretty cool. If it were just the E field, the particle gets accelerated along the line of the E field (which way depends on the whether the particle's charge is + or -). If it were just the B field, the particle orbits around the B field lines' axis -- the acceleration caused by the F = qv X B force is centripital (normal to the velocity of the particle), so the particle just goes around in a constant circle whos radius depends on the charge, velocity and B field strength.

But when you combine the B and E fields as in this problem, you get some kind of spiralling motion, and the radius of the spiral generally changes as the particle has a net acceleration from the E field.

1. What is a charged particle in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field is a particle, such as an electron or proton, that has an electric charge and is moving through a region where there is a magnetic field present. The magnetic field exerts a force on the charged particle, causing it to move in a circular or helical path.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a charged particle?

A magnetic field affects a charged particle by exerting a force on it. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle. As a result, the charged particle will experience a change in direction and velocity as it moves through the magnetic field.

3. What is the equation for the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The equation for the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

4. How does the mass of a charged particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The mass of a charged particle does not affect its motion in a magnetic field. This is because the force exerted by the magnetic field is independent of the mass of the particle. However, a heavier particle will have a larger inertia and will therefore require a larger force to change its direction and velocity in the magnetic field.

5. How is the direction of the force on a charged particle determined in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, then the force on the particle will be perpendicular to your palm, which is the direction of the force.