Cartan's first structure equation proof

In summary: If f is a function, how is the exterior derivative df defined?It may prove useful to think about vector fields X and/or a coodinate basis[tex]\left\{\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \right\}[/itex]to answer this.Regards,Georgethat may be my biggest problem. I am a visual learner, but I don't have a good physical picture of 'd'.Algebraically, d is defined a d = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} dx^
r16
this is my first post on this site but it looks like the sort of ppl that i would like to associate myself with.

Unfourtanately, I have not had any formal schooling for any mathematics above calculus but i have read a few books and papers and am trying to make due.

I was studying about the cartan's first structure equation and was looking at this proof :

http://www.pzgnet.cc/images/cartan/eq1.png

where [tex] \nabla_x [/tex] is a koszul connection, [tex] e_i [/tex] is a basis and [tex] \partial_j A^j_i [/tex] is a change of basis from e and [tex] \omega [/tex] is a standard connection in the actual equation :

http://www.pzgnet.cc/images/cartan/eq2.png

In step 3 why can the exterior derivitave be applied to [tex] A^j_i [/tex]?

I am no impact no idea on this step and it seems quite important so i don't want to skip it. Any ideas what I am missing?

**nb in equation 2 [tex] \omega^i_j [/tex] should be [tex] \omega^j_i [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]f[/itex] is a function, how is the exterior derivative [itex]df[/itex] defined?

It may prove useful to think about vector fields [itex]X[/itex] and/or a coodinate basis

[tex]\left\{\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \right\}[/itex]

to answer this.

Regards,
George

that may be my biggest problem. I am a visual learner, but I don't have a good physical picture of 'd'.

Algebraically, d is defined a [tex] d = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} dx^i[/tex].
d applied to the 0-form [tex]f[/tex] gives a 1-form [tex]df[/tex].

Then it would follow that [tex] X(f) = df (X) [/tex] as in the definition of a 1-form.

However is [tex] A^j_i [/tex] equivalent to a scalar because the contravariant and covariant parts of the [tex] [\frac{1}{1}] [/tex] valent tensor cancel out?

This is opposed to [tex] \omega^k_i [/tex], a [tex] [\frac{1}{1}] [/tex] tensor as well, which acts as a 1-form on X. Is there a standard of how a tensor acts or is it based on the definition of the tensor?

Last edited:
For each [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex], [itex]A^{i}_{j}[/itex] is a component, i.e., a function, while each [itex]\omega^{i}_{j}[/itex] is a 1-form, and, consequently, they are very different animals.

Consider a couple of examples. A vector field [itex]X[/itex] can be expressed in terms a set of basis fields as [itex]X = X^{i} e_{i}[/itex]. Each [itex]X^i[/itex] is is a component, i.e., a scalar-valued function of the base space, while each [itex]e_i[/itex] is a vector field.

Similary, if [itex]\omega^{i}_{j} = \omega^{i}_{jk} dx^k[/itex], each [itex]\omega^{i}_{jk}[/itex] is a component, while each [itex]dx^k[/itex] is a 1-form.

Bottom line: sometime indices label comonents, and sometimes they label other objects.

Welcome to Physics Forums, and, if I haven't answered all your questions, or if my explanation is not very clear, keep asking questions.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
thank you very much sir, that clears it up perfectly.

However i do have one more inquery. What is a good physical/geometrical description of an exterior derivitave?

r16 said:
What is a good physical/geometrical description of an exterior derivitave?

Unfortunately, I don't know a good physical/geometrical description of an exterior derivative. Maybe someone else does.

I just work abstractly with its properties.

Regards,
George

1. What is Cartan's first structure equation proof?

Cartan's first structure equation proof is a mathematical proof developed by French mathematician Élie Cartan in 1926. It is a fundamental result in differential geometry that provides a way to express the curvature of a Riemannian manifold in terms of its metric tensor and its Levi-Civita connection.

2. Why is Cartan's first structure equation proof important?

Cartan's first structure equation proof is important because it allows for a better understanding of the geometric properties of curved spaces. It also has applications in various areas of physics and engineering, such as general relativity and the study of fluid mechanics.

3. How does Cartan's first structure equation proof work?

Cartan's first structure equation proof involves using differential forms and exterior derivatives to express the curvature of a Riemannian manifold. It is based on the concept of parallel transport, which is the idea of moving a vector along a curve while keeping it parallel to itself. The proof also uses the Cartan connection, which allows for the calculation of the curvature tensor.

4. What are some real-world applications of Cartan's first structure equation proof?

Cartan's first structure equation proof has many real-world applications, including in physics and engineering. It is used in the study of general relativity, which describes the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy. It also has applications in the study of fluid mechanics, where it is used to model the behavior of fluids in curved spaces.

5. Are there any limitations to Cartan's first structure equation proof?

While Cartan's first structure equation proof is a powerful tool in understanding curved spaces, it does have some limitations. It only applies to Riemannian manifolds, which have a metric tensor that is positive definite. It also cannot be extended to non-Riemannian manifolds, such as Lorentzian manifolds, which have a metric tensor that is not positive definite.