Solving for Induced Current in a Plane Loop Wire: Faraday's Law

In summary, The flux is the area times the B field (times a cosine but here the cos gives 1) . So {d \phi \over dt} = A {\Delta B \over \Delta t} . Looks like you forgot the change of B field, \Delta B
SwMarc
Here is a question I have on a practice exam that I am having a littel trouble with.
A plane loop of wire consisting of a single turn if radius 5cm is perpendicular to a magnetic field that increases uniformly in magnitude from 0.5T to 2.5T in 1.5 seconds what is the resluting indiced current if the coil has a resistance of 2ohms?

I am not sure where to procede I need something that leads me to current so finding a voltage would be nice because I already have the resistance.
perhaps using faradays law?

Physics news on Phys.org
SwMarc said:
perhaps using faradays law?

Yes. Can you post your attempt?

Just use
[tex]\epsilon = \frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

Come on arun, let the original poster show some work!

There's no fun in giving away the answer just like that, is there? The original poster will learn more if he/she figures it out for themselves don't you think :smile:?

Well you already said that Faraday's laws are the way to go. I just wrote the mathematical form.
Besides I don't think there is much to do in this problem, otherwise I usually look at the working.

Cheers,
Arun

OK I am back. It turns out this problem was on the test with one variation the radius went to 15cm. I used faradays law but got the answer wrong here is what I did.

emf=(pie(.15^2)/1.5=.0471 volts

and then to find the current I=V/R=.0471/2=.0236

SwMarc said:
OK I am back. It turns out this problem was on the test with one variation the radius went to 15cm. I used faradays law but got the answer wrong here is what I did.

emf=(pie(.15^2)/1.5=.0471 volts

and then to find the current I=V/R=.0471/2=.0236
The flux is the area times the B field (times a cosine but here the cos gives 1) . So [itex] {d \phi \over dt} = A {\Delta B \over \Delta t} [/itex]. Looks like you forgot the change of B field, [itex] \Delta B [/itex]

Patrick

Crap, so the change of B would be two so if I put
emf=(2pie(.15^2)/1.5=.942 volts
and then current would be .942/2=.0471 ohms

Does the answer look good now?

SwMarc said:
Crap, so the change of B would be two so if I put
emf=(2pie(.15^2)/1.5=.942 volts
and then current would be .942/2=.0471 ohms

Does the answer look good now?
I get 10 times smaller than your results ( I used 2 T* pi (0.15 m)^2/1.5 s also and got 0.0942 T m^2/s)

nrqed said:
I get 10 times smaller than your results ( I used 2 T* pi (0.15 m)^2/1.5 s also and got 0.0942 T m^2/s)

I get the same thing as you...apparently I wasnt paying atttention before.

1. What is Faraday's Law and how does it relate to induced current in a plane loop wire?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a closed loop. In the case of a plane loop wire, this means that a changing magnetic field passing through the loop will generate an induced current in the wire.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of the induced current in a plane loop wire?

The magnitude of the induced current can be calculated using the equation I = -N(dΦ/dt), where I is the induced current, N is the number of turns in the loop, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current in a plane loop wire?

The magnitude of the induced current depends on the strength and rate of change of the magnetic field passing through the loop, the number of turns in the loop, and the orientation of the loop with respect to the magnetic field.

4. How can the direction of the induced current be determined in a plane loop wire?

The direction of the induced current can be determined using Lenz's Law, which states that the direction of the induced current is such that it opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it. This means that the induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the original magnetic field.

5. How can the induced current in a plane loop wire be used in practical applications?

The induced current in a plane loop wire can be used in various applications such as generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It can also be used to measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field, as well as for wireless charging and power transfer.