Differentiating volume of a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating the volume of a cylinder with respect to height (h) and how to correctly include the h variable in the equation. The discussion also mentions using a constant (A) in the equation and whether or not to apply the product rule.
rachael
1. differentiate the volume of a cylinder with v respect to h

my working out:
v= πr^2h
dV\dh= 2πr

n da answer is not right
how do i make da "h" remains in da equation?
could some one please help me?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:Note that r is a constant

i am not sure what you mean though

do u mean that dV\dh= πh? instead of 2πr

What you've done is differentiate with respect to h and then with respect to r (or r then h) to get at [tex]2\pi r[/tex].

You can leave the r alone and just diff. w.r.t. h

If "A" is a constant and v(h)= Ah, what is dv/dh?

If [itex]v(h)= \pi r^2h[/itex], what is the constant "A"?

do i apply the product rule to find dv/dh?

No,
Read Hallsofivy's post carefully.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do you differentiate between the volume of a cylinder and the volume of a cone?

The volume of a cylinder and the volume of a cone are different because the base of a cylinder is a circle, while the base of a cone is a triangle. This means that the formula for calculating the volume of a cone is V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

3. Can you explain the concept of radius and height in relation to the volume of a cylinder?

Radius and height are important measurements in calculating the volume of a cylinder. The radius refers to the distance from the center of the circle to the edge of the base, while the height is the distance from the base to the top of the cylinder. These measurements are used in the formula V = πr²h to determine the volume of the cylinder.

4. How can the volume of a cylinder be used in real-life applications?

The volume of a cylinder can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the amount of liquid that can be held in a cylindrical container, determining the capacity of a water tank, or estimating the amount of gas that can be stored in a pressurized cylinder. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the volume of pipes, tubes, and other cylindrical structures.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding the volume of a cylinder?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding the volume of a cylinder include using the wrong formula, not converting units of measurement, and using the wrong measurements for radius and height. It is important to double-check calculations and make sure all measurements are in the correct units (e.g. meters or inches) before plugging them into the formula.