Meson build up from a quark-antiquark pair

In summary, the tetraquark is stable when the mass ratio is large enough, but we don't know how large this is.
Pietjuh
I have some questions about mesons. I don't really understand why they are build up from a quark-antiquark pair. I know from the theory that one can classify the mesons by considering the tensor product of the fundamental representation [3] and the representation [3'] (the prime for denoting anti-particles). But I'm wondering why you can't take the tensorproduct of two normal quarks, like [3]x[3] = [6]+[3'] to classify the mesons. Or can't you have a bound state between 2 normal quarks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pietjuh said:
Or can't you have a bound state between 2 normal quarks?

A naive answer would be that a pair of quarks couldn't be color neutral, so if you believe hadrons respect color neutrality, then a diquark couldn't exist as an independent bound state.

Pietjuh said:
I have some questions about mesons. I don't really understand why they are build up from a quark-antiquark pair. I know from the theory that one can classify the mesons by considering the tensor product of the fundamental representation [3] and the representation [3'] (the prime for denoting anti-particles). But I'm wondering why you can't take the tensorproduct of two normal quarks, like [3]x[3] = [6]+[3'] to classify the mesons. Or can't you have a bound state between 2 normal quarks?

The {6} in the flavour group SU(3) can not describe mesons. This is because, the states in the {6};

{6} = 1/2 [q(i)q(j) + q(j)q(i)], i = u,d and s

have non-zero baryon number;

[tex]B = \frac{1}{3} [N(q) - N(\bar{q})][/tex].

However, you are pointing to one of many paradoxes in the simple quark model.
Even though hadrons are seen to be made of [itex]q\bar{q}[/itex] and [itex]qqq[/itex], and there is no evidevce for [itex]qq[/itex] and [itex]qqqq[/itex] bound states, still the simple quark model can not explain the absence of such hadron states with masses comparable to the observed particles.
After painting the quarks with three colours (the birth of the colour group SU(3) and its gauge theory QCD), it became possible to "resolve" the paradox by the so-called colour-singlet conjecture (we can only observe colourless hadrons :redface: ), This means that q, qq and qqqq can not be seen and, since [itex]3 x \bar{3}[/itex] and [itex]3 x 3 x 3[/itex] contain colour singlets, only [itex]q\bar{q}[/itex] and [itex]qqq[/itex] can bind into physically observable hadrons.

regards

sam

Last edited:
samalkhaiat said:
...only [itex]q\bar{q}[/itex] and [itex]qqq[/itex] can bind into physically observable hadrons.
Question. Does not [tex]\bar{q}[/tex][tex]\bar{q}[/tex][tex]\bar{q}[/tex] also form a hadron, of pure antimatter ?

Yes indeed. A proton is [itex]uud[/itex], an antiproton is [itex]\overline{u} \overline{u} \overline{d}[/itex].

Rade said:
Question. Does not [tex]\bar{q}[/tex][tex]\bar{q}[/tex][tex]\bar{q}[/tex] also form a hadron, of pure antimatter ?

Yes, I should have said:

"only [itex]q\bar{q}[/itex] , [itex]qqq[/itex] and their conjugates can bind into physically observable hadrons"

regards

sam

In the past two years, the existence of pentaquark(qqqqq_bar) was reported by several exp. groups,
eg. proton+proton -> (Sigma_+) + (Theta_+) .
Sigma_+ (uus) , Theta_+ (uudds_bar) ,
and Theta_+ decays to KN (nK_+ or pK_0) .
We say Theta_+ is produced, because KN forms a resonance as a peak
on the background.
We say Theta_+ is a pentaquark, because q_bar couldn't annihilate with
any other four quarks, and it couldn't be simplified as (qqq) state.

But to our surprise, later on several other exp. groups reported the null
results. So we shall wait for further decisive experiment. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have read that a stable tetraquark is possible in theory when the wavefunction dynamics are viewed as interaction of two diquarks, thus |QQ[itex]\overline{q}\overline{q}[/itex]|, where the two Q are high mass quarks, the two [itex]\overline{q}[/itex] are low mass. Stability results when mass ratio (M/m) is large enough--but I have no idea how large this enough must be. Apparently works best with lightest quark combinations (u,d,s). See Ader et al, Phys Rev D 25, 1982, 2370.

1. What is a meson?

A meson is a subatomic particle composed of a quark and an antiquark bound together by the strong nuclear force. They have a spin of 0 or 1 and are classified as bosons.

2. How are mesons formed from a quark-antiquark pair?

Mesons are formed through the exchange of gluons between a quark and an antiquark. The strong nuclear force, carried by gluons, binds the quark and antiquark together to form a meson.

3. What are the properties of mesons?

Mesons have a mass that is between that of a proton and an electron. They also have a charge of either +1, -1, or 0, and a spin of 0 or 1. They are also unstable and decay into other particles within a very short period of time.

4. How do mesons contribute to the study of particle physics?

Mesons are important in the study of particle physics because they are one of the fundamental particles that make up matter. Their properties and interactions can provide insights into the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe.

5. Can mesons be created in a laboratory?

Yes, mesons can be created in a laboratory through high-energy particle collisions. These collisions can produce a variety of mesons with different properties, allowing scientists to study their characteristics and behavior.