The suspended object then must be negatively charged.

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charged
In summary: This would attract the rod.In summary, the suspended object must be either positively charged or uncharged when a negatively charged rod is brought near it. The exact charge cannot be determined without further information.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A negatively charged rod is brought near a suspended object, which is repelled by the rod.
The suspended object then must be :

a) positively charged
b) negatively charged
c) uncharged
d) not enough info

negativly charged is correct

A negatively charged rod is brought near a suspended object, which is attracted to the rod.
The suspended object then must be

A) positively charged
B) negatively charged
C) uncharged
D) not enough info

Seems to me it should be A. But A and C are wrong.

Could it be B? If it was negatively charged, they'd repel rather than attract.

Could it be D? Not enough info? What else would I need to know?

Physics news on Phys.org
A negatively charged rod is brought near a suspended object, which is attracted to the rod.
Opposite charges attract, so a negatively charged rod would 'attract' a positive charge.

Why did you say A (positively charged) is wrong?

Hello tony,

maybe the question is meant to be a bit picky and they'd say it would be attracted due to gravitational force alone as well.:confused: Just a thought.

Regards,

nazzard

Astronuc said:
Why did you say A (positively charged) is wrong?
The online grading system said it was wrong. A was my first guess for the reasons you stated. Did the online grading system get it wrong? (wouldn't be the first time), or am I missing something?

I suspect it would be D, not enough info. The answer could be either A or C... A because opposites attract and C because if the suspended object carried no nett charge then bringing a charged object near would induce a charge so the side of the object near your negative rod would be positive while the far side would be negative.

What are charged rods?

Charged rods are cylindrical objects made of a conductive material, such as metal, that have an excess or deficiency of electrons, resulting in a net electrical charge.

How do charged rods become charged?

Charged rods can become charged through a process called triboelectric charging, where two objects made of different materials come into contact and transfer electrons between them.

What is the purpose of charged rods in science?

Charged rods are often used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of electricity and magnetism, such as the attraction and repulsion of two charged objects.

Can charged rods be used to generate electricity?

Yes, charged rods can be used to generate electricity through a process called electrostatic induction, where the movement of charged particles creates an electrical current.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling charged rods?

It is important to avoid touching charged rods with bare hands, as the electrical charge can cause painful shocks. It is also important to keep charged rods away from flammable materials to prevent potential electric sparks.