Need help : calculating intensity

• Thread starter madhukarrapaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intensity
In summary, to calculate the intensity inside a circular glass cylinder due to a UV lamp surrounded by reflectors, you will need to determine the total power of the lamp, calculate the reflected power, and use the inverse square law to calculate the intensity at different points inside the cylinder, taking into account the reflection factor of the surrounding reflectors.
madhukarrapaka
need help urgent: calculating intensity

hi all,

may be my problem is a simple one.
I want to calculate the intensity field resulted due to a UV lamp in side glss cylinder located at a distance from the lamp. The lamp is sorrunded 3 sides by reflectors such that 90% of the light power is reflected. now i have to calculate the intensity of the light inside the circularglass cylinder due to the UV lamp.

Here i know how to calculate the intensity without the reflection, please some one tell me how to include the reflection of the light.

(for clear understanding: I have a circular gas cylinder in xyz plane, and a UV lamp is located at a distance xcm from the cylinder. this UV lamp is sorrounded 3 sides by reflecting plates (like
... \
O o| where O is the circular cylinder
... / o is the lamp (the lines are reflectors)
now how to calculate the intensity inside 'O' due to 'o'

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Calculating the intensity in this scenario will require taking into account the reflection of light from the surrounding reflectors. Here are the steps you can follow to calculate the intensity:

1. Determine the total power of the UV lamp. This can be found in the specifications of the lamp or by measuring it with a power meter.

2. Calculate the reflected power by multiplying the total power by 90% (since 90% of the light is reflected).

3. Determine the distance between the UV lamp and the circular glass cylinder. This will be your distance (x) in the equation for intensity (I = P/4πr^2).

4. Use the inverse square law to calculate the intensity at different points inside the cylinder. The inverse square law states that the intensity of light decreases with the square of the distance from the source. So, for example, if the distance from the lamp to a point inside the cylinder is 2x, the intensity will be 1/4th of the intensity at the distance x.

5. Take into account the reflection factor of the surrounding reflectors. For example, if a point inside the cylinder is receiving light from the lamp and one of the reflectors, the intensity at that point will be the sum of the intensities from the lamp and the reflector, multiplied by their reflection factor.

6. Repeat this calculation for different points inside the cylinder to get a complete intensity profile.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculation!

1. What is intensity in scientific terms?

Intensity is a measure of the amount of energy that passes through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m2). In simpler terms, intensity refers to the strength or concentration of a particular phenomenon.

2. How is intensity calculated?

Intensity is calculated by dividing the power or energy of a phenomenon by the area over which it is spread. The formula for calculating intensity is I = P/A, where I is intensity, P is power, and A is area. This can be done using various instruments such as light meters, radiation detectors, or sound level meters.

3. What are some common units of intensity?

The most commonly used units of intensity are watts per square meter (W/m2) for electromagnetic radiation, watts per square centimeter (W/cm2) for sound, and watts per square meter per steradian (W/(m2·sr)) for light. However, other units such as decibels (dB) and lux (lx) may also be used for specific types of intensity measurements.

4. How does intensity relate to amplitude?

Intensity and amplitude are related, but they are not the same thing. Intensity is a measure of the energy or power of a phenomenon, while amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. In general, the greater the amplitude, the greater the intensity of a wave.

5. What factors can affect intensity measurements?

Intensity measurements can be affected by a variety of factors, such as distance from the source, the size and shape of the area being measured, and the sensitivity of the instrument used. In addition, absorption, reflection, and scattering can also impact intensity measurements, especially for electromagnetic radiation.