Email Help - Change Hotmail to Gmail

• Thread starter star.torturer
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking help with changing their email address from a Hotmail to a Gmail account. They are encountering an error message stating that the Gmail address is already in use, but they do not have any other accounts registered with it. Upon further investigation, it is discovered that they had a previous account with a similar username, which has now been deleted.
star.torturer
Help with Email!

i have 2 email addresses, and i want to change my email address from my hotmail to my gmail address but its saying that it is already in use, wehn it is not! please help

Physics news on Phys.org
star.torturer said:
i have 2 email addresses, and i want to change my email address from my hotmail to my gmail address but its saying that it is already in use, wehn it is not! please help
Maybe you did resgister an account the gmail address sometime in the past and now you didn't remmeber it.
Or, another possibility is that someone may have used it to resgister their account. But if this happened, I wondered how they could activate their account...

i haven't sighned up with any other acounts, but i think orriginaly it was this, so can some senir staff member please change my email to my gmail (my username at gmail.com)

You had a previous account with the name 'tar.torturer.' I deleted that account and all its posts (if any), and reset star.torturer's email address.

- Warren

thanks LOL, yeah i remember now

1. How do I transfer my emails from Hotmail to Gmail?

To transfer your emails from Hotmail to Gmail, you can use the "Import Mail and Contacts" feature in Gmail. First, log into your Gmail account and click on the gear icon in the top right corner. Then, click on "Settings" and go to the "Accounts and Import" tab. From there, click on "Import mail and contacts" and follow the prompts to import your emails from Hotmail.

2. Will switching from Hotmail to Gmail affect my contacts?

No, switching from Hotmail to Gmail should not affect your contacts. As long as you follow the steps to import your contacts into Gmail, they should transfer over seamlessly. You can also export your contacts from Hotmail as a .csv file and then import them into Gmail.

3. Can I still access my old Hotmail emails after switching to Gmail?

Yes, you will still have access to your old Hotmail emails even after switching to Gmail. However, they will be imported into your Gmail account and you will need to access them through Gmail. You can also choose to keep your Hotmail account active and access your emails through both Hotmail and Gmail.

4. Is it possible to automatically forward emails from Hotmail to Gmail?

Yes, you can set up email forwarding from Hotmail to Gmail. In your Hotmail account, go to "Settings" and then click on "Forwarding". From there, you can enter your Gmail email address and choose to forward all emails or only certain emails. Keep in mind that this will only forward new emails, not old ones.

5. Will my Hotmail account be deleted after switching to Gmail?

No, switching to Gmail will not automatically delete your Hotmail account. If you no longer want to use your Hotmail account, you can choose to delete it manually. However, it is recommended to keep your Hotmail account active in case you need to access old emails or contacts in the future.