Converting a splitter from parallel to series.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a splitter to combine the signals of two guitars into one amp. However, the output of the splitter in parallel resulted in a loss of volume for both signals. The individual tried to connect it in series, but this also did not work. It is suggested to use a mixer instead, as it provides proper isolation between the signals. The conversation also mentions a link where a suitable mixer can be found.
wasteofo2
So I've got this splitter that's I've been using to take the signal from 2 guitars and combine them into one so I can plug them both into one amp. However, when going form 2 to 1, it conjoins the signals in parallel, so they both lose volume. I took it apart, and tried to connect it in series. It ended up looking like this:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5975/circuitpz6.jpg [Broken]

The result was that the input jack connected directly to the out gave a full signal, and the other gave a much weaker one. There must be a simple way to do this, but I'm stupid.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
wasteofo2 said:
…So I've got this splitter…

I’m not into audio stuff but in general the output of electronic devices should not be connected together but should be isolated from one another. From your drawing, the splitter is not appropriate for what you are trying to do. I believe you want a $5.00 mixer as in this link:

http://search.ebay.com/guitar-mixer_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQxpufuZx

I have to agree there, and not just because Geniere is the expert in this matter. Isolation through a mixer is the proper way to go. If you absolutely have to combine the signals, I'd think that parallel is far more desireable that series. At least you're getting some sort of proportional mix that way, as opposed to stacking signals on top of each other, some of which probably block others.

1. What is the difference between a parallel and series splitter?

A parallel splitter divides the input signal into multiple outputs that are all equal in strength. A series splitter, on the other hand, divides the input signal into multiple outputs that decrease in strength as they are split.

2. Why would I want to convert a splitter from parallel to series?

Converting a splitter from parallel to series is useful when you want to distribute a signal to multiple devices, but need to ensure that the signal strength is not degraded by the splitter.

3. How do I convert a parallel splitter to series?

To convert a parallel splitter to series, you will need to add resistors to each output line of the splitter. The resistors will decrease the strength of each output signal, creating a series connection.

4. Can any splitter be converted from parallel to series?

Not all splitters can be easily converted from parallel to series. Some splitters are designed specifically for one type of connection and cannot be modified. It is important to check the specifications of your splitter before attempting to convert it.

5. Are there any drawbacks to converting a splitter from parallel to series?

One potential drawback of converting a splitter from parallel to series is that the signal strength may be significantly reduced, especially if the splitter is splitting the signal into many outputs. This can result in a weaker signal reaching each device, potentially affecting their performance.