Converting rx in spherical coordinates to cartesian.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates. The formulas for conversion are provided, including the x, y, and z components of a vector in both coordinate systems. The use of dot products to find the x-component in each system is also mentioned. Lastly, it is noted that expressing unit vectors in different coordinate systems requires some knowledge of geometry.
seang
I have no idea how to do this. I've tried a lot of things but I can never reduce it to solely cartesian coordinates. Is there any hard fast procedure to conversions like this? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
what's rx?

Is is a component of the vector I am working to convert to cartesian coordinates.

Do you know the formulas for conversion from Cartesian to spherical coordinates?

[tex]x= \rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/tex]

[tex]\rho= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/tex]
[tex]\theta= arctan(\frac{y}{z})[/tex]
[tex]\phi= arctan(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}})[/tex]

The x-component of a vector is just the x coordinate of the corresponding point.

Yes I have these. Except where ever yours have rho, I have r. That's ok. So can I just say that (rx), or (px) with your equations, is equal to [tex]x\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/tex]

? That seems too easy.

Let's say your vector in spherical coordinates is:
[tex] \vec S = (S_R, S_\theta, S_\phi) [/tex]

and cartesian,
[tex] \vec C = (C_x, C_y, C_z) [/itex]

Now if you want the x-component of [itex] \vec C [/itex] you use the dot product, [itex] \vec C \cdot \hat x [/itex], where [itex] \hat x = (1,0,0) [/itex] (in cartesian coordinates).

Now if you want the x-component of [itex] \vec S [/itex] you use the dot product, [itex] \vec S \cdot \hat x [/itex].

You need to express the unit vectors in the different coordinate system though. You can do this with geometry.

That makes it a little bit more difficult for you.

1. What is the formula for converting rx in spherical coordinates to cartesian?

The formula for converting rx in spherical coordinates to cartesian is:
x = r * sin(phi) * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(phi) * sin(theta)
z = r * cos(phi)
Where r is the distance from the origin, phi is the angle from the positive z-axis, and theta is the angle from the positive x-axis.

2. How do I determine the values of r, phi, and theta for a point in spherical coordinates?

To determine the values of r, phi, and theta for a point in spherical coordinates, you will need to know the distance of the point from the origin, the angle between the point and the positive z-axis, and the angle between the point and the positive x-axis. These values can be found using trigonometric functions or by using a coordinate system diagram.

3. Can negative coordinates exist in spherical coordinates?

Yes, negative coordinates can exist in spherical coordinates. The distance from the origin (r) can be negative, indicating that the point is in the opposite direction of the positive z-axis. The angles phi and theta can also be negative, indicating that the point is in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis and positive z-axis, respectively.

4. Are there any limitations to using spherical coordinates?

One limitation of using spherical coordinates is that they are not as intuitive as cartesian coordinates. It can be difficult to visualize the location of a point using r, phi, and theta values. Additionally, spherical coordinates are not suitable for all types of calculations, such as those involving complex shapes or objects with changing coordinates.

5. How are spherical coordinates used in real-world applications?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and navigation. They are particularly useful for describing the location of objects in 3D space, such as stars in the night sky or the position of a ship at sea. They are also used in computer graphics to represent the position of objects in 3D models.