Electric Field due to a line of charge

In summary, the formula for finding the electric field at a distance z above one end of a straight line segment of length L which carries a uniform line charge lambda is given by E = (lambda/4pi*epsilon0) * [1/z - 1/sqrt(z^2 + L^2)] in the horizontal direction and E = (lambda/4pi*epsilon0) * L/sqrt(z^2 + L^2)z in the z direction. For large values of z, the electric field in the horizontal direction becomes zero and the z component reduces to (lambda L/4pi*epsilon0*z^2). Additionally, when calculating the electric field from the potential given by V = (lambda/
stunner5000pt
Have a look at the diagram

Find the elctric field a distance z above one end of a astraight line segment of length L which carries uniform line charge lambda. Check that your formula is consistent with what you would expect for the case z >> L

SOlution:
[tex] \lambda= q/L [/tex]
[tex] dq = \lambda dx [/tex]

For the electric Field in the horizontal (points to the left and is negative)

[tex] dE_{x} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{dq}{(z^2 + x^2)} \sin \theta [/tex]

Subsituting what we know about sin theta and dq

[tex] dE_{x} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\lambda dx}{(z^2 + x^2)} \frac{x}{\sqrt{z^2 + x^2}} [/tex]

integrating x = 0 to x = L

[tex] E_{x} = \int dE_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \int_{x=0}^{x=L} \frac{xdx}{(z^2+x^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left[ \frac{-1}{\sqrt{z^2 + x^2}} \right]_{x=0}^{x=L} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left[ \frac{-1}{\sqrt{z^2 + L^2}} + \frac{1}{z} \right] [/tex]

[tex] E_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left[ \frac{1}{z} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2 + L^2}} \right] [/tex]

ok so suppose z >> L then the electric field is zero?? Shouldnt it reduce to that of a point charge and not zero?? this should be regardless of whether i solve for x or z right??

for the Z direction i got
[tex] E_{z} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}z} \frac{L}{\sqrt{L^2 + z^2}} [/tex]
unlike the last one this one does reduce to the equatiopn for a point charge but is off my a factor of 1/z ...

combining the two yields

[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left[ \frac{1}{z} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2 + L^2}} \right] \hat{x} + \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}z} \frac{L}{\sqrt{L^2 + z^2}} \hat{z} [/tex]is there soemthing wrong with the calculationg ofr hte X Horizontal Direction?? Please help

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Attachments

• noise.JPG
    noise.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 3,627
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
[tex] E_{x} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left[ \frac{1}{z} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2 + L^2}} \right] [/tex]

ok so suppose z >> L then the electric field is zero?? Shouldnt it reduce to that of a point charge and not zero?? this should be regardless of whether i solve for x or z right??
If you get far enough away, the field from anything (finite) goes to zero! :wink: But you need to understand how it approaches zero. In this case, think about it: You are very far from a point charge--What's the direction of the field?

for the Z direction i got
[tex] E_{z} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}z} \frac{L}{\sqrt{L^2 + z^2}} [/tex]
unlike the last one this one does reduce to the equatiopn for a point charge but is off my a factor of 1/z ...
It's not off. You just need to examine its behavior as z goes to infinity. Use a binomial expansion:
[tex](L^2 + z^2)^{-1/2} \approx (1/z)(1 - \frac{L^2}{2z^2})[/tex]

I'm studying from Griffiths too :) and I've a question about this exercize.

The electric potential:

[tex]V = \frac{ \lambda }{4\epsilon_0 \pi} ln\left(\frac{L+\sqrt{z^2+L^2}}{z}\right) [/tex]

Calculating the electric field from the V's gradient, it has x component always at zero.
Where the problem?

I'm sorry for my poor english, good evening mate!

Yeah, Griffith's book is good.

stunner5000pt said:
combining the two yields

[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left[ \frac{1}{z} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2 + L^2}} \right] \hat{x} + \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}z} \frac{L}{\sqrt{L^2 + z^2}} \hat{z} [/tex]

is there soemthing wrong with the calculationg ofr hte X Horizontal Direction?? Please help

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

From your calculation for [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] (yes i think it's correct for both direction), for z >> L, the electric field of component - x will disappear (since [tex]\frac{1}{z} - \frac{1}{z} = 0)[/tex] and leaves for us the z - component as below:

after simplifying, [tex]\vec{E} = \frac{\lambda L}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}z^2}\hat{z}[/tex] for z>>L.

the case is the same as above example from griffith's book (that is for E at a distance z above midpoint of line L). I quoted it : From far away the line

"looks" like a point charge [tex]q = 2\lambda L[/tex].

Peppe said:
I'm studying from Griffiths too :) and I've a question about this exercize.

The electric potential:

[tex]V = \frac{ \lambda }{4\epsilon_0 \pi} ln\left(\frac{L+\sqrt{z^2+L^2}}{z}\right) [/tex]

Calculating the electric field from the V's gradient, it has x component always at zero.
Where the problem?

I think x and y component will be gone since you do grad [tex]\nabla[/tex]-operation to potential (the potential only depend on z). so,

[tex]\vec{E} = -\nabla V = -\frac{\lambda}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\ln (\frac{L + \sqrt{z^2 + L^2}}{z})[/tex].

suppose [tex]k = \sqrt{z^2 + L^2}[/tex],

it will give [tex]\vec{E} = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}}(\frac{z}{k(L + k)} - \frac{1}{z})\hat{z}[/tex]

btw, i can't find this problem in griffith's book...

Hello, as a scientist, I can understand your confusion and I am happy to help clarify. Your calculations for the Z direction are correct, and it does indeed reduce to the equation for a point charge. However, for the X horizontal direction, there seems to be a small error in your integration. It should be:

E_x = ∫dE_x = λ/4πε_0 ∫x=0 to x=L (λdx/(z^2+x^2)^3/2) = λ/4πε_0 [1/(z^2+x^2)^1/2]_x=0 to x=L = λ/4πε_0 [1/(z^2+L^2)^1/2 - 1/z]

This will give you the correct formula for the X direction. As you can see, when z >> L, the electric field for the X direction does not reduce to zero, but instead, it approaches the electric field of a point charge, which is what we would expect. Therefore, your formula is consistent with what we would expect for the case z >> L. I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work!

What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to a line of charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to a line of charge is E = k*q/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the line, and r is the distance from the line.

How does the direction of the electric field due to a line of charge change with distance?

The direction of the electric field due to a line of charge is always perpendicular to the line of charge at any given point. As the distance from the line increases, the electric field decreases in magnitude.

What is the difference between a positive and a negative line of charge in terms of the electric field?

A positive line of charge creates an electric field that points away from it, while a negative line of charge creates an electric field that points towards it. The magnitude of the electric field is the same for both cases, but the direction is opposite.

How does the length of the line of charge affect the electric field?

The longer the line of charge, the stronger the electric field it creates. This is because the electric field at a point due to a line of charge is directly proportional to the length of the line.

Can the electric field due to a line of charge be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to a line of charge can be negative. This occurs when the line of charge is negative and the electric field is pointing towards it, or when the line of charge is positive and the electric field is pointing away from it.