Simple Q: Percent Disagreement

• Thread starter rachelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percent
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the "percent disagreement" in a Physics lab. The person initially thought the answer was .715, but realized it should be .541 - .715/.541. They are also reminded to compute the relative error and shift the decimal point two places for the percentage. The conversation ends with the person confirming they have the correct answer.
rachelle
Ok, I'm doing my Physics lab and I was told to give a "percent disagreement" if any.. I know it's a very simple question, but I want to make sure if I understood it right...

So say I get an expected value to be .541 and when I calculated it, the answer is .715... so is the "percent disagreement" to be 32%? (.541 + .715/.541)

Can someone verify if this is correct... thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Eeh?
Whatever have you written here??
You are to compute the relative error!
(finding the percent from that is easy, just shift the decinal point two places in the correct direction)

Whoops, I got the correct answer but I meant .541 - .715/.541
and my true value was actually .541
Anyway, I got it, thanks

What is "Simple Q: Percent Disagreement"?

"Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" is a statistical measure used to assess the level of disagreement between two sets of data. It is often used in research studies and experiments to determine the degree of difference between observations or measurements.

How is "Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" calculated?

The calculation for "Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" involves taking the absolute difference between the two sets of data, dividing it by the sum of the two sets, and then multiplying by 100 to get the percentage. The formula is: |X-Y| / (X+Y) * 100, where X and Y are the two sets of data being compared.

What does a higher percentage of "Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" indicate?

A higher percentage of "Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" indicates a greater level of disagreement between the two sets of data. This means that the observations or measurements are significantly different and may require further investigation or analysis to understand the reasons for the disagreement.

What are the limitations of using "Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" as a measure of disagreement?

One limitation of using "Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" is that it only takes into account the magnitude of the disagreement, not the direction. This means that two sets of data could have the same percentage of disagreement, but one could be consistently higher or lower than the other. Additionally, this measure does not consider the sample size, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

How can "Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" be used in research studies?

"Simple Q: Percent Disagreement" can be used in research studies to compare the results of different experiments or to assess the reliability of measurements. It can also be used to evaluate the effectiveness of a new method or treatment by comparing it to a control group. However, it should be used in conjunction with other statistical measures and should not be the sole basis for drawing conclusions.