Power of a Sine Wave: Formula to Calculate W

In summary, the formula to calculate the power of a sine wave electrical signal in a wire is P = V * I, where V is the voltage and I is the current. This only applies if the load is resistive and the voltage and current are in phase. Frequency only becomes important when it is high enough to affect the skin effect. The shape of the wave also plays a role in determining power, which can be tricky in inductive circuits. It may be helpful to use a function generator that can produce sine waves for more accurate calculations.
Jdo300
Hello,

What is the formula to calculate the power (W) of a sine wave electrical signal traveling through a wire if I know the frequency, voltage, and current?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to know the phase angle.
Unless you just want to know how much power the wire is consuming.
In which case you need R_wire.

If the voltage and current are in phase (your load is resistive only), then the power is just P = V * I, independent of frequency.

berkeman said:
If the voltage and current are in phase (your load is resistive only), then the power is just P = V * I, independent of frequency.

So you are saying that a wire carrying 100 volts at 60Hz has the same amount of power as a wire carrying 100 volts at 120Hz or 1kHz (assuming the same load in all three cases)? I heard somewhere that if you double the frequency of the wave, that the power is 4 times as much, is that true?

Thanks,
Jason O

No, it's not.
Wave shape will make a difference in power.
Frequency only becomes important (if the load is resistive) as it gets high enough for the skin effect to make a significant contributation.

Since you seem primarily interested in coils then note that P=V * I does not apply to what you are doing.

Nice pages es1.
Since the OP seems to be contemplating square waves the page 2 doesn't really apply to him.

A square wave reflects the sum of a large number of
different frequency sine waves.
This can be tricky in inductive circuits.

Perhaps Jdo should coinsider geting a function genenerator that can produce sine waves.

1. What is the formula to calculate the power of a sine wave?

The formula to calculate the power of a sine wave is P = (Vmax2)/2R, where P is the power in watts, Vmax is the maximum voltage of the sine wave, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How do you calculate the power of a sine wave from a given voltage and resistance?

To calculate the power of a sine wave, simply plug in the given values of voltage and resistance into the formula P = (Vmax2)/2R and solve for P.

3. Can the power of a sine wave be negative?

No, the power of a sine wave cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the rate at which energy is transferred.

4. How does the resistance affect the power of a sine wave?

The resistance has an inverse relationship with the power of a sine wave. This means that as the resistance increases, the power decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher resistance means less current flowing through the circuit, resulting in less power being dissipated.

5. Why is it important to calculate the power of a sine wave?

Calculating the power of a sine wave is important because it allows us to understand the amount of energy being transferred in a circuit. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing electrical systems to ensure they can handle the power demands and prevent damage or malfunction.