How can I build an electromagnetic motor for my grade 11 Physics class?

In summary, The speaker is seeking assistance with building an electromagnetic motor for their grade 11 Physics class. They are struggling to find simple instructions and are asking for guidance. The speaker mentions the possibility of using electromagnets to create the motor and asks for advice on how to create a pair of electromagnets with a space between them and how to change the polarity.
doolvision
Hello everyone. First time i found this side from a buddy of mine told me to check it out for help. For my grade11 Physics class we need to build an electromagnetic motor with 4 electro magnets ATLEAST and no higher then 9volt battery.

I've looked everywhere and cannot find a simple intructions to making one.

Its an easy principle that i don't understand and to make it harder they give a project on it.

Anyone can lead me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance and keep the help alive! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely you can find sources on the internet that tell you how a motor works. Most of them will show a loop of wire rotating in the field created by a permanent magnet. However, you could make a motor with a magnet rotating in the field created by electromagnets that are being turned on and off as the magnet spins. You would want the electromagnets to be turned on in pairs with each magnet in a pair on opposite sides of the rotating magnet. Two pairs (the minimum 4 magnets you must have) would work, but 3 or 4 pairs would be great.

How could you make a pair of electromagnets with one continuous wire that have a space between the two magnets with the poles aligned as in this little diagram?

N=====S <space> N=====S

What would you have to do the change the polarity of the two magnets?

Hello! It's great that you are interested in building an electromagnetic motor for your Physics class. This type of motor is based on the principle of electromagnetic induction, which is the creation of an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it.

To build an electromagnetic motor, you will need a power source, such as a 9-volt battery, and four electro magnets. The electro magnets can be made by wrapping wire around a metal core and connecting it to a power source. When electricity flows through the wire, a magnetic field is created around the core.

To make the motor, you will need to arrange the four electro magnets in a circular shape, with the poles facing each other. Then, connect the magnets to the battery in a way that will create a continuous flow of electricity through the magnets. This will create a rotating magnetic field, which will interact with the magnets to produce motion.

It's important to note that the strength and placement of the magnets can affect the performance of the motor. Also, it's recommended to use a low voltage power source for safety reasons. You can find more detailed instructions and diagrams online to help you with your project.

I hope this information helps you in building your electromagnetic motor. Good luck with your project!

What is an Electromagnetic Motor?

An electromagnetic motor is a type of motor that uses the principles of electromagnetism to create motion. It consists of a coil of wire that rotates within a magnetic field, causing the motor to spin.

How does an Electromagnetic Motor work?

An electromagnetic motor works by using the interaction between electricity and magnetism. When an electric current is passed through a coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field then interacts with another magnetic field, causing the coil to rotate.

What are the advantages of an Electromagnetic Motor?

One of the main advantages of an electromagnetic motor is its efficiency. It can convert electrical energy into mechanical energy with very little energy loss. Additionally, it does not require any physical contact between the moving parts, making it more durable and requiring less maintenance.

What are the applications of an Electromagnetic Motor?

Electromagnetic motors have a wide range of applications, from small household appliances to large industrial machinery. They are commonly used in electric fans, washing machines, elevators, and even in electric vehicles.

Are there any drawbacks to an Electromagnetic Motor?

One of the main drawbacks of an electromagnetic motor is that it requires a power source to function. This means that it cannot operate without a continuous supply of electricity. Additionally, the initial cost of building an electromagnetic motor may be higher compared to other types of motors.