Solving for Distance and Angle in Baseball Press Box and Inclined Road Problems

• Thread starter XPX1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, a reporter in the press box at a baseball park, which is 38.0 ft above the ground, looks at an angle of 16.6° below the horizontal to see second base. Using the trigonometric function tan, the horizontal distance from the press box to second base can be calculated to be approximately 127.5 ft.On a long inclined road, after driving 1.5 miles, signs indicate that the elevation has increased by 530 ft. To find the angle of the road above the horizontal, the trigonometric function sin is used. It is found to be 3.838°. To gain an additional 150 ft of elevation, one would need to drive 2,239
XPX1
The press box at a baseball park is 38.0 ft above the ground. A reporter in the press box looks at an angle of 16.6° below the horizontal to see second base. What is the horizontal distance from the press box to second base?

____ ft

How do you figure that out? You don't have a hypotenuse so you can't use sin and cos, so I am kinda... I am out of ideas anyone know what to do?

AND!

You are driving up a long inclined road. After 1.5 miles you notice that signs along the roadside indicate that your elevation has increased by 530 ft.
(a) What is the angle of the road above the horizontal?
°3.828 CORRECT
(b) How much further do you have to drive to gain an additional 150 ft of elevation?
____mi ?

How do I figure out part B of this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
the 38 ft is the vertical distance on the right angle triangle and you are trying to find the horizontal distance. So you can do tan16.6=38.0/x x=38/tan16.6 which equals roughly 127.5 ft.

#2 Sorry I don't know feet and miles

k wait Ill try it, should be 3.838 degrees for part a. Add 150 ft to y, so you get 680 ft. You know that the angle is 3.838 degrees, so draw a triangle. You're trying to find the hypotenuse. Sin3.838=680/x x=680/sin3.838 x=10159 ft. Take x and subtract the original distance. 10159-7920=2239 ft. Or Sin3.838=680/x+7920 x+7920=680/sin3.838 x=(680/sin3.838)-7920

Thanks I got it correct! It seems to help me more if I can see someone do the problem, and how they did it, instead of tidbits of information on how to set it up, thanks a lot man!

1. What are the two simple yet hard questions?

The two simple yet hard questions refer to the famous philosophical thought experiment known as the "Trolley Problem." The first question is: "Is it morally acceptable to sacrifice one person to save five?" and the second question is: "Is it morally acceptable to actively cause harm to one person to prevent harm to others?"

2. Why are these questions considered difficult?

These questions are considered difficult because they challenge our moral intuitions and force us to confront the complexities of ethical decision-making. They also do not have clear-cut answers and often lead to debates and discussions about the value of human life and the greater good.

3. Who first proposed these questions?

The Trolley Problem was first introduced by the philosopher Philippa Foot in 1967, and later expanded upon by Judith Jarvis Thomson in 1985. Since then, it has been widely discussed and debated by philosophers, psychologists, and other scholars.

4. How are these questions relevant in today's society?

These questions are relevant in today's society as they touch upon important ethical dilemmas that we may face in our daily lives, such as medical decision-making, war, and criminal justice. They also force us to consider the consequences of our actions and the value we place on human life.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Trolley Problem?

While the Trolley Problem itself is a thought experiment, it has been used to inform real-world ethical discussions and decision-making processes. For example, it has been applied in the development of self-driving cars and in the study of moral decision-making in various fields such as medicine and law.