Human Genome Help: Solving Time Calculation Question

• Thread starter jesooka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, the conversation discusses the time it would take for the human genome to diverge 1% from its current state, assuming a non-overlapping mutation rate of 5000 mutations per day. The questioner is having trouble figuring out the amount of time and seeks clarification on how to calculate it, taking into account the number of pairs in the human genome and the generation time.
jesooka
I am having trouble figuring out this question:

Assuming a non-overlapping mutation rate of 5000 mut/day. How long in years would it take for the human genome to diverge 1% (the genetic difference between humans and chimpanzees) from its current state?

If there are 3 x 10^9 pair in the human genome and 1% of this is 3 x 10^7 how do I figure out the amount of time to reach the 1%? I am stuck! I keep getting 16 years, I know that the number should be closer to 10 million years. Any starter tips or clues?

Biology news on Phys.org
You have to put in generation time :) how many times can a human reproduce in 16 years? And how did you get 5000 mut/day?

To solve this question, we need to use the formula: time = number of mutations / mutation rate. In this case, the number of mutations we are looking for is 3 x 10^7 and the mutation rate is 5000 mut/day. To convert the mutation rate to years, we need to multiply it by 365 (since there are 365 days in a year). This gives us 1,825,000 mut/year. Plugging this into the formula, we get: time = 3 x 10^7 / 1,825,000 = 16,438.4 years. This is close to the 16 years you were getting, but the reason for the difference is that you were using a mutation rate of 5000 mut/year instead of 5000 mut/day. To get the correct answer of 10 million years, we need to use a mutation rate of 5000 mut/day. I hope this helps!

1. What is the Human Genome Project?

The Human Genome Project (HGP) is an international scientific research project that aimed to map and sequence the entire human genome - the complete set of genetic instructions for building and maintaining a human being. It was completed in 2003 and has provided valuable information about the structure and function of human genes.

2. How does the Human Genome Project help with solving time calculation questions?

The Human Genome Project has significantly advanced our understanding of the human genome and has made it possible to identify and study genetic variations that can affect human health and disease. This information can be used to develop better methods for predicting and diagnosing diseases, as well as developing new treatments and therapies. By understanding the genetic basis of diseases, we can also better estimate the time it takes for certain diseases to manifest and progress in individuals.

3. What is the role of genetics in determining an individual's lifespan?

Genetics plays a significant role in determining an individual's lifespan. This is because certain genetic variations can make individuals more susceptible to certain diseases, while others may protect against certain diseases. Additionally, genetics can influence an individual's overall health and lifestyle choices, which can impact their lifespan.

4. How can the Human Genome Project be used to improve personalized medicine?

The information provided by the Human Genome Project has allowed for the development of personalized medicine, which takes into account an individual's unique genetic makeup to tailor treatments and medications specifically for them. This approach can lead to more effective treatments and better health outcomes for patients.

5. What ethical concerns are associated with the Human Genome Project?

There are several ethical concerns surrounding the Human Genome Project, including issues of privacy, discrimination, and informed consent. The project also raises questions about who has access to an individual's genetic information and how it can be used. Additionally, there are concerns about the potential for genetic testing to be used for non-medical purposes, such as selecting for certain physical or personality traits.