Understanding Friedmann Equations Equation of State: Step-by-Step Walkthrough

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of state derived from Friedmann equations and the confusion about proportionality in the equation. The explanation provided is that the laws of logarithms and the properties of exponential functions can help understand the equation. The correct equation of state is also mentioned.
parsifal
I've got some difficulties trying to understand the equation of state derived from Friedmann equations. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone walked me through this.

Now if the equation of state is stated as:
[tex]\Large \dot{\rho}+(3\rho +p)\frac{\dot{R}}{R}=0 \ \ |p=\omega \rho[/tex]

Then (in the case of pressure being zero):
[tex]\Rightarrow \rho \propto R^{-3} \Rightarrow \rho = \rho _0 (\frac{R_0}{R})^3[/tex]
I suspect the latter to be correct as it's not a result of my own logic :biggrin:

Now what I do not understand is the proportionality. If the equation of state is integrated I get something like this (set p=0):
[tex]\Large \dot{\rho}+(3\rho)\frac{\dot{R}}{R}=0
\Rightarrow \dot{\rho}=-3\rho\frac{\dot{R}}{R} \Rightarrow
\frac{1}{\rho}\dot{\rho}=-3\frac{\dot{R}}{R} \Rightarrow
\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{d\rho}{dt}=-3\frac{1}{R}\frac{dR}{dt}\ \|\cdot dt[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow
\int _{\rho _0}^\rho \frac{1}{\rho}d\rho}=-3\int _{R_0}^R \frac{1}{R}dR \Rightarrow
ln(\rho)-ln(\rho _0)=-3(ln(R)-ln(R_0)) \Rightarrow
ln \frac{\rho}{\rho _0}=-3ln\frac{R}{R_0}\Rightarrow
\frac{\rho}{\rho _0}=e^-3\frac{R}{R_0} \Rightarrow
\rho=e^-3\frac{R}{R_0}\rho _0[/tex]

Now is there some part to the theory that causes the equation to flip so that
[tex]\rho =e^-3\frac{R}{R_0}\rho _0 \Rightarrow \rho = \rho _0 (\frac{R_0}{R})^3[/tex]
or don't I just get the mathematics right?

Or have I done something wrong right in the beginning deriving the equation of state?

Edit:
Of course, how could I not see it... forgetting that a log x = log xa.

Kurdt already told me that here, but then his message disappeared.

Well thanks to Kurdt anyway!

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Simply the laws of logarithms:

[tex] a\log(b) = \log(b^a)[/tex]

and noting

[tex] (\frac{a}{b})^{-3} = (\frac{b}{a})^3 [/tex]

There is also no exponential function involved since:

[tex] e^{(\ln x)}=x[/tex]

EDIT: I'd deleted the original post because I thought I'd misread your original post but I had not.

Last edited:
parsifal said:
Now if the equation of state is stated as:
[tex]\Large \dot{\rho}+(3\rho +p)\frac{\dot{R}}{R}=0 \ \ |p=\omega \rho[/tex]
Just as a side note, the correct equation is:

[tex]\Large \dot{\rho}+3\frac{\dot{R}}{R}(\rho +p)=0[/tex]

It follows from [itex]\nabla_{\mu}T^{\mu}_0 = 0[/itex].

1. What is the Friedmann equation and why is it important?

The Friedmann equation is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of the universe. It is important because it allows us to understand the expansion and dynamics of the universe, and to make predictions about its future behavior.

2. What is the equation of state and how does it relate to the Friedmann equation?

The equation of state is a mathematical relationship between the pressure and energy density of a substance. In the context of the Friedmann equation, it is used to describe the properties of matter and energy that make up the universe, and how they affect its expansion.

3. What are the steps to solving the Friedmann equation?

The steps to solving the Friedmann equation include defining the parameters of the universe (such as its energy density and expansion rate), selecting an equation of state, and using mathematical techniques to solve for the evolution of the universe over time.

4. How can the Friedmann equation be used to study the early universe?

The Friedmann equation can be used to study the early universe by extrapolating backwards in time and making predictions about the state of the universe at earlier stages of its evolution. This can provide valuable insights into the origins and development of the universe.

5. What are some limitations of the Friedmann equation?

Some limitations of the Friedmann equation include its assumption of a homogeneous and isotropic universe, which may not accurately describe the universe on a smaller scale. It also does not take into account the effects of dark energy, which is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.