How does a battery loose its charge?

In summary, different types of batteries behave differently when it comes to charging and holding a charge. For some, like lithium ion batteries in phones and iPods, there is no memory effect and can be charged at any time without affecting its charge capacity. However, over time these batteries will eventually hold less charge and die. Other batteries, like those in older devices, may need to be drained completely before recharging in order to maintain their charge capacity. As the battery ages, it will require more frequent charging to provide the same amount of power to the device.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm wondering about rechargable batteries such as in your cell phone. I can't seem to find anywhere on google that explains why they loose their charge if you say... only plug it in for 30 minutes then use it, the next time you charge it, how does that affect how much charge it can now hold/battery life? I know its not a myth but why does that happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Different batteriees behave differently. Some batteries must be drained all the way before recharging. If you dont, it will hold less of a charge next time. The lithium batteries in ipods and cell phones don't have these problems. They do, however, have a definite shelf life and will eventually hold less charge and then die

Thank you turdferguson.

My parents yelled at me for not keeping the charge on the battery and said I would kill it. I told them no, it doesn't affect this type of battery. The Lithium ion batteries don't have memory affect which I found out is true.

when u charge a battery, it gets number of electrons (charged particles) from the mains current, later when u play music etc on your phone, your phone system makes use of these electrons one by one and hence they decrease (assume each of the electron gets disappeared as you play music for 30 secs, as it serves as a power)

when your battery becomes very old say 1 year then its capable of handling only certain number of electrons then before so u need to keep charging even more

Hi there,

This is a great question! The process of a battery losing its charge is due to a phenomenon called self-discharge. This occurs when the battery is not being used and slowly drains over time. Additionally, every time you use the battery, it undergoes a chemical reaction that produces electricity. This reaction is not 100% efficient, so some energy is lost in the form of heat. This loss of energy reduces the overall capacity of the battery and can cause it to hold less charge over time.

Furthermore, the length of time a battery can hold its charge also depends on the type of battery and how it is being used. For example, lithium-ion batteries, which are commonly used in cell phones, are affected by the number of charge and discharge cycles they undergo. The more cycles they go through, the more their capacity decreases.

In terms of your specific scenario of only charging for 30 minutes, this can also affect the battery's overall capacity. When you charge a battery, it goes through a process called a charge-discharge cycle. If you only charge for a short period of time, the battery may not be able to fully charge, leading to a decrease in its overall capacity.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep in mind that batteries are complex systems and many factors can affect their performance and lifespan. It's important to follow proper charging and usage guidelines to ensure the best performance from your rechargeable batteries.

Best,

1. How does a battery lose its charge?

A battery loses its charge through a process called chemical reaction. Inside the battery, there are two electrodes (positive and negative) and an electrolyte solution. When the battery is discharged, the chemical reaction between the electrodes and the electrolyte creates an electric current. As the battery is used and the chemical reactions occur, the electrodes and electrolyte become depleted, causing the battery to lose its charge.

2. Why do batteries lose their charge over time even when not in use?

Even when not in use, batteries will slowly discharge due to a process called self-discharge. This occurs when the battery's internal chemical reactions continue to occur, even when there is no external load (such as a device) connected. The rate of self-discharge depends on the type of battery and its storage conditions.

3. Can a battery lose its charge if it is not fully discharged?

Yes, a battery can lose its charge even if it is not fully discharged. This is because the chemical reactions within the battery are not completely reversible. As the battery is used and recharged, some of the active materials in the electrodes and electrolyte are lost, causing a decrease in the battery's capacity to hold a charge.

4. How can temperature affect a battery's charge?

Temperature can significantly impact a battery's charge. High temperatures can cause batteries to discharge faster, while low temperatures can slow down the chemical reactions and decrease the battery's capacity. Extreme temperatures can also damage a battery's internal components, leading to a permanent loss of charge.

5. Is it possible to extend a battery's charge life?

There are several ways to extend a battery's charge life. One method is to use the battery regularly to prevent self-discharge. Storing the battery in a cool, dry place can also slow down the chemical reactions and prolong its lifespan. Additionally, using a charger specifically designed for the battery can help prevent overcharging, which can also decrease a battery's charge life.