Giant Bacteria - A Wonder of Nature

In summary, there is a type of bacteria called "Sulfur Pearl of Namibia" that can grow up to 3/4 of a mm in size due to its environment. It uses sulfur as an energy source and nitrate as an oxidizing agent, so it needs to store nitrate in its vacuoles. This could potentially be a clue to the transition to multi-cellular organisms. Also, some people find this bacteria cool because it eats sulfites. The conversation also briefly discusses sea monkeys, which are a hybrid species of brine shrimp that are popular pets.
DarkAnt
HUGE Bacteria!

I don't know if it has been brought up before, but while I was just making random searches on the net (when I should have been doing homework) I found this

I was amazed. I kinda want some in a fish tank or something, kind of like having sea sea monkeys in you fish tank.

Biology news on Phys.org
thanks for that info, that's amazing.. "Sulfur Pearl of Namibia" why would the bacterium want to be so large??

Originally posted by Monique
why would the bacterium want to be so large??

I can a bacteria want something, it does think .

It is large due to its environment. This bacteria utilize sulfur as energy sourceand nitrate as the oxidizing agent. The bacterium is not motile therefore it needs to store some nitrate. Therefore it gets fats because of it sotres nitrate in its vacuoles.

"Up to 3/4 of a mm"?!
I'm going to get a fly-swatter.

Could this increase in size (for the purpose of food-storage?) be a clue to the transition to multi-celular organisms?

Boy, that is one gull-dern BIG single cell organism!

I think it's cool that they eat sulfites.

juz a side track...can anyone here tell me more bout the sea monkey?
are they juz shrimps or what?

A side track indeed.. but since I've never heard of sea monkeys myself.. this website explains some of it:
http://www.sea-monkeys.com/html/aboutsm/whatarethey.html

Apparently they are a hybrid of a species of brine shrimp (a hybrid to make them bigger).

Last edited by a moderator:

What are giant bacteria?

Giant bacteria, also known as "epulopiscium", are a type of bacteria that can grow up to 0.5 mm in length, making them visible to the naked eye. They were first discovered in the gut of surgeonfish and have since been found in other marine animals.

How do giant bacteria differ from regular bacteria?

Giant bacteria differ from regular bacteria in size and complexity. They are much larger and have a more complex cellular structure, including multiple nuclei and multiple copies of their genetic material. They also have a unique reproductive process, where they divide into multiple "daughter" cells instead of just two.

What is the ecological role of giant bacteria?

Giant bacteria have an important role in the marine ecosystem. They are often found in the guts of marine animals, where they aid in digestion and provide essential nutrients for their hosts. They also play a role in nutrient cycling and can help maintain a healthy balance of bacteria in their environments.

Are giant bacteria harmful to humans?

No, giant bacteria are not harmful to humans. They have only been found in marine animals and do not pose a threat to human health. In fact, they have potential uses in biotechnology and may be able to produce enzymes and other substances that could have medical or industrial applications.

How do scientists study giant bacteria?

Scientists study giant bacteria through various methods, including microscopy, genetic sequencing, and laboratory experiments. They also use specialized techniques to grow and manipulate the bacteria in controlled environments. As our understanding of giant bacteria continues to grow, new technologies and methods are being developed to further study these fascinating organisms.