Time required to move object

• Thread starter Thrawn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the problem involves calculating the time required for a 0.1kg object to move a distance of 0.1m with a force of 0.0000000132944 N. This requires using Newton's second law to find the acceleration of the object, which can then be used in basic kinematics equations to find the time. However, the problem may not be accurately stated as it does not account for variables such as the mass of the larger object and the changing acceleration due to the inverse square law of gravity.
Thrawn

Homework Statement

What is the time required to move an object of .1kg a distance of .1m
with a force of .0000000132944 N ?

Homework Equations

N = 1kg m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

N = 1kg m/s^2

N = 1kg m/s^2

S^2 = 1kg m/ N

sqrt s^2 = sqrt 1kg m/ N

S = sqrt 1kg m/ N

S = sqrt .1 (.1)/0.000000000132944

S = sqrt .01/0.000000000132944

S = 877s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not correct. You have taken the units of a quantity and made an equation out of it. Are you trying to use Newton's second law? Write the actual equation out. What do you first need to find out about the object's motion if a force is acting on it?

hage567 said:
No, that is not correct. You have taken the units of a quantity and made an equation out of it. Are you trying to use Newton's second law? Write the actual equation out. What do you first need to find out about the object's motion if a force is acting on it?

What I need to do is calculate the time required for an object with a set mass to move a set distance, with a set force exerted upon it.

Newton's second law, F = ma, requires that I know a, acceleration, which is expressed in meters (or other measurement) per second squared. However, I do not know how many "second squared" it takes.

In the contezt of the problem: A mass of 100g is placed on a beam free to rotate. Ten cm away, a larger mass is placed. The gravitational force between the two masses is 0.000000000132944 N, found through previous calculations. The distance is 10 cm (.1m), and the mass of the object is 100g (.1kg). How long does it take the object, with the force being applied to it, to come into contact with the attractive mass?

But I don't think you can take gravitational force as a constant force, because of the 1/d^2. So as the object gets closer it will accelerate faster. Is it assumed these objects are point masses? I'm guessing there might be information you haven't shared since there is no mention of the mass of the larger object in any of your previous posts (how else did you find F?).

Perhaps I'm being too rigorous with this, or I'm not understanding something??

"I do not know how many "second squared" it takes."

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with that. Those are units, not variables in your equation. Use Newton's second law to find acceleration since you know the force acting on the object and the mass of the object. You express this acceleration in m/s^2. You can then go on to find the time by basic kinematics.
This is of course assuming a constant force on the object.

What is meant by "time required to move object"?

The time required to move an object refers to the amount of time it takes for an object to travel from one point to another.

What factors affect the time required to move an object?

The time required to move an object can be affected by several factors, such as the distance the object needs to travel, the speed at which it is moving, and any obstacles or resistance it may encounter.

How is the time required to move an object calculated?

The time required to move an object can be calculated using the formula t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is velocity or speed.

Does the mass of an object affect the time required to move it?

In most cases, the mass of an object does not significantly affect the time required to move it. However, if the object is very large or heavy, it may require more force or take longer to accelerate and reach a desired speed, thus increasing the time required to move it.

Can the time required to move an object be changed?

The time required to move an object can be changed by altering the speed at which it is moving or by reducing any obstacles or resistance in its path. Additionally, using different methods of transportation or changing the route can also affect the time required to move an object.