A cylinder rolling down an incline

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration of a cylinder rolling down an inclined plane using regular Newtonian mechanics. The steps involved include identifying the forces, writing Newton's Second Law for translation and rotation, considering the constraint of rolling without slipping, and then solving the problem. The difficulty lies in calculating the static friction force, which is dependent on the angle and cannot be assumed to equal \mu N. The conversation ends with the realization that Newton's Second Law for rotating bodies must also be used.
arunma
So here's a pretty straightforward question. Given a cylinder with some specific mass and radius rolling down an inclined plane with a specific angle of inclination, what is the cylinder's acceleration?

I can figure out the answer pretty easily by finding the Lagrangian of the cylinder (I worked it out to [tex]\dfrac{2}{3} g sin( \theta )[/tex], someone let me know if that's wrong). But what's bugging me is that I can't remember how to do this problem using regular Newtonian mechanics. Can anyone help me out of this brain fart? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual suspects:
(1) Identify the forces acting on the cylinder (don't forget friction)
(2) Write Newton's 2nd law for translation
(3) Write Newton's 2nd law for rotation
(4) Include the constraint of rolling without slipping
(5) Solve!

It's number 1 that's eluding me at the moment (which is really bugging me, since this is supposedly something that a freshman can do). There is a static frictional force at the base of the cylinder. But since the cylinder isn't at the point of slipping, how can this be computed?

Wow, I just realized the source of my brain fart. I had forgotten that the speed of the cylinder is equal to its radius time the angular velocity. That clears everything up. Thanks!

arunma said:
It's number 1 that's eluding me at the moment (which is really bugging me, since this is supposedly something that a freshman can do). There is a static frictional force at the base of the cylinder. But since the cylinder isn't at the point of slipping, how can this be computed?
I'm sure you've figured it out for yourself by now, but just for the record: You calculate the friction force by solving the force equations. The amount of static friction depends upon the angle (as you realize, you certainly cannot assume that friction equals [itex]\mu N[/itex]).

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
I'm sure you've figured it out for yourself by now, but just for the record: You calculate the friction force by solving the force equations. The amount of static friction depends upon the angle (as you realize, you certainly cannot assume that friction equals [itex]\mu N[/itex]).

Yup, it turns out I need to use Newton's Second Law for rotating bodies. Anyway, I figured it out. And it's always satisfying to see that the Newtonian and Lagrangian methods agree!

1. What factors affect the speed of a cylinder rolling down an incline?

The speed of a cylinder rolling down an incline is affected by several factors, including the mass of the cylinder, the angle of the incline, and the presence of any external forces such as friction.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the acceleration of a rolling cylinder?

The angle of the incline has a direct impact on the acceleration of a rolling cylinder. As the angle increases, the acceleration also increases, resulting in a faster speed.

3. How does the mass of the cylinder affect its motion down an incline?

The mass of the cylinder plays a role in determining its speed down an incline. A heavier cylinder will have a greater force due to its weight, resulting in a faster acceleration and higher speed.

4. Is the motion of a rolling cylinder down an incline affected by friction?

Yes, friction can significantly impact the motion of a rolling cylinder down an incline. Friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, slowing down the cylinder and reducing its speed.

5. Can the speed of a rolling cylinder down an incline be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the speed of a rolling cylinder down an incline can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline. However, this formula assumes no friction or external forces acting on the cylinder.