Complex Analysis: Evaluating an Integral for Branch Cuts in the Limit r → ∞

• Thread starter kakarukeys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution for the limit of a complex integral in the context of quantum field theory. The book suggests using a specific contour to evaluate the integral, but the individual is having trouble understanding how this contour is valid. They propose using a slightly different contour and adjusting the parameters to make the integral converge. They also discuss the possibility of the imaginary part of the exponential function being positive to ensure exponential decay. Ultimately, they ask for help in understanding and solving the problem.
kakarukeys

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

find in the limit [tex]r\rightarrow\infty[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-i}{2(2\pi)^2r}\int^\infty_{-\infty}\frac{p\exp(ipr)dp}{\sqrt{p^2+m^2}}[/tex]

the solution (or rather a hint) given by the book:
"The integrand, considered as a complex function of p, has brunch cuts on the imaginary axis starting at [tex]\pm im[/tex].

http://www.stochasticsoccer.com/contour.gif

To evaluate the integral we push the contour up to wrap around the upper branch cut. Defining [tex]\rho = - ip[/tex], we obtain

[tex]\frac{1}{4(\pi)^2r}\int^\infty_{m}\frac{\rho\exp(-\rho r)d\rho}{\sqrt{\rho^2-m^2}}[/tex]

in the limit, tends to

[tex]\exp(-mr)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any theorem in complex analysis that permits a "push" of the contour shown in the figure, so I try the contour shown below:

http://www.stochasticsoccer.com/contour2.gif

but when I take limit R goes to infinity, the maximum modulus integral bound around the semicircle doesn't go to zero. so I'm stuck. Expert pls help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BTW: Which book?

As for contours away from the real and imaginary axes, I would consider integrating with \rho = i*m - \delta +Re^{i\theta }
from \theta = \theta_0 to \pi/2 - \theta_0 and then \pi/2 + \theta_0 to \pi - \theta (or opposite orientation ?)
and have \delta and \theta_0 vanish appropriately as R-> \infty.

The idea would be to have the imaginary part in the exponential be positive so that you get exponential decay in the semi circular part of the contour for large R. The rest maybe would converge to the desired integrals, but I did not check this all the way. However, a change in sign in the imaginary part of the exp function in the integrand occurs as arg \rho goes from \pi/2-\theta_0 \pi/2+\theta_0 which I suppose makes the contributions add (and not cancel) along the imaginary axis in the limit R-> \infinity.

(I didn't give equations of contours exactly like the pictures - well I'm only trying to help...)

:)

The book is Peskin & Schroeder, Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
the problem is somewhere in p.g. 1~30

Let me spend some time figure out what you are saying.

I am thinking of contour that's almost a semi-circle, except for a thin wedge at a small angle that goes slightly below i*m and the larger arc not quite \pi radians across and not quite lying on the x-axis.

On second thought you may get away with
\theta = 0 to \pi/2 - \theta_0 and then \pi/2 + \theta_0 to \pi
(Maybe part of contour can exactly on x-axis - Am I overzealous in trying to keep the argument of the exponent in having a strictly **positivie imaginary part**?).

Just making the U shape in your picture more like a skinny V shape with vertex slightly under the singularity and making the contour not quite lying on the x-axis.

Last edited:
I bet you mean this:
http://www.stochasticsoccer.com/contour3.gif

along the big "semicircle", let [tex]p = R\exp(i\theta)[/tex], integrate from [tex]\theta_0[/tex] to [tex]\pi/2-\theta_0[/tex] then [tex]\pi/2+\theta_0[/tex] to [tex]\pi - \theta_0[/tex]

Let [tex]\theta_0\rightarrow 0, R\rightarrow\infty[/tex] later.

along the small "circle", let [tex]p = I am + z[/tex] where [tex]z = \delta\exp(i\omega)[/tex], integrate from [tex]\pi/2 - \theta_1[/tex] to [tex]\pi/2 + \theta_1 - 2\pi[/tex].

Let [tex]\delta\rightarrow 0, \theta_1\rightarrow 0[/tex] later?

:wink: Is that what you mean? I check (loosely) that the maximum modulus bound tends to zero

Nice picture. I was thinking of a V with a small angle instead of a "small circle" going under the singularity, but I think you got the picture - literally.
Good luck.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating an integral?

The purpose of evaluating an integral is to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a certain quantity over a given interval. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give a function with a constant of integration. In other words, a definite integral calculates a specific area or quantity, while an indefinite integral finds the general solution.

3. How can I evaluate an integral?

Integrals can be evaluated using various methods, such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals. The method used will depend on the complexity of the integral and the techniques you are familiar with.

4. What is the importance of the constant of integration in indefinite integrals?

The constant of integration is a constant term that is added when evaluating an indefinite integral. It represents the family of functions that all share the same derivative. This constant is important because it allows us to find the general solution to a differential equation, rather than a specific solution.

5. How can I check if my solution to an integral is correct?

One way to check the correctness of an integral is by differentiating the solution. If the result matches the original integrand, then the solution is likely correct. Another method is to use numerical integration techniques, such as the trapezoidal rule, to estimate the value of the integral and compare it to your solution.