Cygwin specific package to installl SSH

• Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, if you only need the SSH client, PuTTY is a standalone option that can be downloaded from its official page. However, if you also require an SSH server, PuTTY alone will not suffice and you will need to follow a guide to set up both. Alternatively, you can look for 'openssh' in the cygwin install.
Nusc
Hi. Does anyone know the specific package to installl SSH

because i don't want to install all that other stuff

Computer science news on Phys.org
Rogerio said:
If you just want the SSH client , take a look at PuTTY .
PuTTY is a standalone SSH client.

The official page:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

If he wants an ssh server then PUTTY is not enough. Following this guide will allow you to go both ways http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html

If you don't want an ssh server, then either stick to putty or look for 'openssh' in the cygwin install.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Cygwin and why do I need it to install SSH?

Cygwin is a free and open-source software tool that allows users to run Linux and Unix-based applications on Windows operating systems. It is necessary to install Cygwin in order to install SSH because SSH is a Unix-based command-line tool that is not natively supported on Windows.

2. How do I install Cygwin?

To install Cygwin, you can follow these steps:
1. Go to the official Cygwin website and download the setup file.
2. Run the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Select the packages you want to install, including the "openssh" package for SSH.
4. Click "Next" and then "Finish" to complete the installation process.

3. Can I use Cygwin to access SSH on remote computers?

Yes, Cygwin allows you to use SSH to access remote computers, just like on a Linux or Unix-based system. You will need to have the necessary permissions and credentials to access the remote computer.

4. How do I verify that SSH is successfully installed using Cygwin?

To verify that SSH is installed, you can open the Cygwin terminal and type in the command "ssh -V". This will display the version of SSH that is installed on your system. You can also try connecting to a remote computer using SSH to ensure that it is working properly.

5. Can I uninstall Cygwin after installing SSH?

Yes, you can uninstall Cygwin after installing SSH. However, this will also remove any other packages that were installed using Cygwin. If you only want to uninstall SSH, you can do so by going to the Cygwin installation directory and running the setup file again, then deselecting the SSH package.