Urinary system, as a thermodynamic system

In summary, the author is trying to model the human urinary system and is having difficulty because the teacher told them that the bladder is not a sphere. He is looking for ideas on how to model it and is worried about the complexity of the equation.
student85

Homework Statement

I was given the hard task of matematically modeling the human urinary system. I have to keep into account all the things going on. We CAN NOT model the bladder as being a sphere. So that is the main problem. It has the shape of an onion more or less. And it reduces and increases its volume depending on the amount of urine present. The approx. volume of the bladder is 400 cm3.
Basically what I'm looking for are ideas on how to model the bladder as a sistem, as the farthest we've gone is modeling spherical and cilindrical systems.
I don't know if this is more appropiate for the math section as what I am looking for is basically math and not a lot science terms.

Any help is DEEPLY appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
does it include the kidneys, from a thermodynamic point of view this would add considerable complexity? If not things are much simpler. Urine flows from the kidneys where it is formed--it has a large range of osmolarity depending on the state of water balance and the health of the kidneys as well as any medications which might influence function such as a diuretic(this concentration has thermodynamic implications)--through the two ureters into the bladder. The bladder itself is composed of smooth muscle whose tension depends on the volume--if a sphere were used this would be a simple matter of applying LaPlace eqn relating tension and radius like a balloon. The state of tension will determine the energy consumption of the muscle itself. There is also the sphincter itself which is under the influence of the autonomic nervous system. Relaxation of this muscle is a voluntary event in most cases. Finally during urination, material is lost from the system in the form of fluid at a temperature nearly that of the core itself (37C). This implies a heat loss, and at least compared to water, a more concentrated substance. These are the notions off the top of my head.
Helpful?

Thanks a lot denverdoc.
My main consern now is that I can not consider the bladder a sphere, the teacher told us that clearly. So I'm thinking of many things, like rotating a parabola around the y-axis, and perhaps using the solid as the shape of the bladder, but I don't know what function exactly I should use.

What is the urinary system?

The urinary system is a complex system responsible for removing wastes and excess fluid from the body. It includes the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra.

How does the urinary system function as a thermodynamic system?

The urinary system maintains a balance of fluids and electrolytes within the body, which is a key aspect of thermodynamics. It does this through processes such as filtration, reabsorption, and secretion.

What are the main components of the urinary system?

The main components of the urinary system are the kidneys, which filter waste products from the blood, the ureters, which transport urine from the kidneys to the bladder, the bladder, which stores urine, and the urethra, which releases urine from the body.

How does the urinary system maintain homeostasis?

The urinary system plays a crucial role in maintaining homeostasis, or a stable internal environment, by regulating the body's fluid balance and electrolyte levels. It also helps to remove metabolic waste products and maintain the body's pH balance.

What are some common diseases and disorders of the urinary system?

Some common diseases and disorders of the urinary system include urinary tract infections, kidney stones, and kidney disease. These can affect the functioning of the urinary system and may require medical treatment.