Rutherford alpha particle scattering

In summary, Dick made up equations to solve for the scattering at different angles. He found that at 20 degrees, there are 200 scattered alpha particles.
Tyst

Homework Statement

A parallel beam of alpha particles with fixed kinetic energy is normally incident on a piece of gold foil.
a) if 100 alpha particles per minute are detected at 20 degrees, how many will be counted at 40, 60, 80 and 100 degrees?
b) If the kinetic energy of the incident alpha partilces is doubled, how many scattered alpha particles will be observed at 20 degrees.
The density of the gold foil is given to be 19.3 g/cm^3

2. Homework Equations / Attempt at solution

N = k/[sin(theta/2)^4] ... My question is in relation to the relevant equations. I attempted to use this equation (substituting values given for scattering at 20 degrees to find 'k') for part a), though i am fairly sure there is more to it than this, could someone please point me in the right direction with regard to other equations relevant to this problem? I'm afraid i am lacking a text and have had no luck with google!

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
a.) 40 - 50
60 - 25
80 - 10
100 - 5

b.) 2x 200 2He4

Thank you for the response .ultimate, i was wondering if you could tell me how you came to get those answers? Perhaps you could tell me what equations were used, or how you came to that conclusion?

Thank you

Tyst said:
Thank you for the response .ultimate, i was wondering if you could tell me how you came to get those answers? Perhaps you could tell me what equations were used, or how you came to that conclusion?

Thank you

I don't think he used 'equations'. He made them up. It sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing for part a). Do b) in more or less the same way - but now you'll need to know the dependence of k on the kinetic energy. Here's a reference:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rutsca.html

Thanks Dick :cool:

What is Rutherford alpha particle scattering?

Rutherford alpha particle scattering, also known as the Rutherford scattering experiment, is a landmark experiment in physics conducted by Ernest Rutherford in 1911. It involved firing alpha particles (helium nuclei) at a thin sheet of gold foil and observing their scattering patterns, which led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus.

What was the purpose of the Rutherford alpha particle scattering experiment?

The purpose of the experiment was to study the structure of atoms and determine the distribution of charge within them. At the time, the prevailing model of the atom was the plum pudding model, which suggested that atoms were made up of a positively charged sphere with negatively charged electrons scattered throughout. Rutherford's experiment disproved this model and led to the development of the nuclear model of the atom.

What were the key findings from the Rutherford alpha particle scattering experiment?

The key findings from the experiment were that most of the alpha particles passed straight through the gold foil, but a small percentage were deflected at large angles, and a very small percentage even bounced back in the direction from which they came. This led Rutherford to conclude that atoms have a small, dense, positively charged nucleus at their center, surrounded by mostly empty space.

What is the significance of the Rutherford alpha particle scattering experiment in modern physics?

The Rutherford experiment is considered a foundational experiment in modern physics and has had a significant impact on our understanding of the structure of atoms and the nature of matter. It also paved the way for further research into nuclear physics, leading to advancements in fields such as nuclear energy and medicine.

What are some practical applications of the Rutherford alpha particle scattering experiment?

Some practical applications of the experiment include its use in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, which use radioactive isotopes to produce images of the body's internal structures. It has also been used in the development of particle accelerators and in the study of nuclear reactions and atomic nuclei.