Solving Weierstrass M Test Problem with Infinite Series

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation is about using the M test to establish the uniform convergence of a series. The problem involves using the M test to determine the uniform convergence of a series of exp(in^2x)/n! for |z| < r where r < infinite. The conversation also discusses the notation and the use of the M test, with one person providing a clear explanation and another person asking for clarification. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the series is uniformly convergent on the whole real line, but it may not work for complex values of x.
robousy
Hi,

I don't really grasp the M test for convergence and I have several Hmwk problems and figured that if someone could explain how to do one of them then I should be able to figure the rest out.

ok - the problem is this:

Use the M test to establish the uniform convergence of:

(Sum from n - infinite) exp(in^2x) / n! for |z| < r where r < infinite.

Any help would be really appreciated

rachel.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to clear up your notation first.

What is "exp(in^2x / n!"?

cookiemonster

The test states that

[tex]\sum a_n(x)[/tex]

converges absolutely and uniformly on some set of values of X if for all x in X |a_n(x)|<= M_n and

[tex]\sum M_n[/tex]

converges.

So all you need to do is show the n'th term's absolute value satisfies this rule for some constant M_n, and the sum of these constants is convergent.

Hi, the notation exp(in^2x) / n!
means e to the power of i times n squared times x, all dividewd by n factorial where e is the exponential function, i is the aquare root of minus 1, n runs from 0 to infinity.

I still don't understand how to do this problem. :(

Last edited:
Reread the statement of teh Weierstrass M test. It takes no understanding to actually use the test:

a_n(x) = exp(ixn^2)/n!

So what can you say about the absolute value of the n'th term in the series? So what is the sum of these values? Hence...?

well - i probably wouldn't have posted a message if I understood the M test now would I?

well - if the nth term is less than infinity, then exp(in^2x) is very big for some huge but not infinite value, and the denominator n! is also very big. Great, I still don't know if it converges or not!

Firstly can you tell me if x is a real number or a complex number? your initial post half indicates complex by saying |z|<r some r, yet you use x inside the sum.

If x is real this question is easy, though it appears from your last post that it might be complex.

Understanding why the M test works and using it are two entirely different things.

Let us assume x is real because I think the question is wrong if we assume x is complex.

the n'th term in the series is

a(n) = exp{ixn^2}/n!|a(n)| = 1/n!, let this be M_n

then sum M_n is convergent so the initial series is unifomrly convergent on the whole of the real line.

I don't think it works for complex x since x = -it, for t some real number requires us to sum:

e^{tn^2}/n!

and that series deoesn't even converge as the ratio of consecutive terms is:

e^{t(n+1)^2 -tn^2}/(n+1) = e^(2tn+t)/(n+1) which tends to infinity as n tends to infinity.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank-you Matt. I appreciate the time you've spent looking at this.

Yes - it is a complex question but with x real.

So - essentially all you have to do is take the modulus of whatever you are summing over, and then see of the number gets closer to zero as n goes to infinity. Is it is straightforward as that?

Not quite - you must find for each n, a number M_n such that |a_n(x)|< M_n for all x in the domain, where a_n(x) is the n'th term in the series. It will be a different M_n for each n.

Then the sum from 1 to infinity of the M_n must be finite (which is not the same as the M_n tending to 0).Example:

[tex]\sum x^n/n![/tex]

for x in the complex numbers and |x| < 10, say.

a_n(x) = (x^n)/n!

so |a_n(x)| < 10^n/n! := M_n

now sum 1 to infinity of M_n converges hence the function is unifomrly continuous on the disc |x|<10

1. What is the Weierstrass M test problem?

The Weierstrass M test problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining whether an infinite series of functions converges or diverges. It is named after the mathematician Karl Weierstrass.

2. How is the Weierstrass M test problem solved?

The Weierstrass M test problem is solved by applying the Weierstrass M test, which states that if there exists a sequence of positive real numbers such that the absolute value of each term in the series is less than or equal to the corresponding term in the sequence, then the series converges absolutely.

3. What is the importance of solving the Weierstrass M test problem?

Solving the Weierstrass M test problem is important in mathematics because it allows us to determine whether a given series of functions converges or not. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and differential equations.

4. What are some applications of the Weierstrass M test problem?

The Weierstrass M test problem has many applications in mathematics, including in the study of power series, Fourier series, and Taylor series. It is also used in the convergence analysis of numerical methods and in the proof of important theorems in analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to the Weierstrass M test problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Weierstrass M test problem. It can only be applied to series of functions, and it does not provide information about the rate of convergence of a series. Additionally, it may not be applicable in some cases, such as when the terms in the series do not have a clear pattern or when the sequence used in the test does not exist.