Using Fick's Law: Separating Water from Alcohol and Aromatic Components

In summary, Stefanie needs help understanding how to use the Fick's Second Law to separate water from an alcohol and aromatic component. She is unsure if she needs to look at experimental data and use the thickness in the equation, or calculate the vapor pressure. She has a thermal conductivity, specific heat, heat of vaporization, and specific gravity of the components.
chemeguy
I've been doing tons of research on Fick's Law. I understand how to derive it and what its used for. I just need to see an example of it being used.

I need to use this equation to separate water from an alcohol and aromatic component.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which version of this equation are you using? Do you have any known diffusivities? Are you deriving through Navier-Stokes?

sicjeff said:
Which version of this equation are you using? Do you have any known diffusivities? Are you deriving through Navier-Stokes?

I know that I'll be needing to use it for a pervaporation membrane. Here is a site that I've found useful and I'm sure I need to use these equations.

http://www.cheresources.com/pervaporation.shtml

I just need help on how to start doing it, it seems that I'm having too many unknowns. I'm not sure if I need to look at experimental data and use the thickness in the equation and if I need to calculate the vapor pressure. I'm given thermal conductivity, specific heat, heat of vaporization, and specific gravity of the components.

I'm just lost and don't know where to start. :confused:

Hi, I have a problem in finding solution to the Fick's 2nd Law. I know how is it being derive from the 1st Law but had no idea how to go on from there on.

Is there anyone that can teach me? I'm totally new in this and needed for my project.

Hi Stefanie, welcome to PF. Fick's Second Law is a very common partial differential equation, and its solution should be described in most books on PDEs (it's also called the diffusion equation). Incropera and DeWitt's Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer and Baluffi's Kinetics of Materials also describe solutions, since this PDE arises in heat and material diffusion problems, respectively.

Thanks for the references :)

chemeguy said:
I've been doing tons of research on Fick's Law. I understand how to derive it and what its used for. I just need to see an example of it being used.

I need to use this equation to separate water from an alcohol and aromatic component.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ı need to learn how to derive fick's law please help me thank you?

1. What is Fick's Law and how does it relate to separating water from alcohol and aromatic components?

Fick's Law is a fundamental principle in physical chemistry that describes the diffusion of substances across a concentration gradient. In the context of separating water from alcohol and aromatic components, Fick's Law explains how these components will naturally diffuse from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, allowing for separation.

2. Can Fick's Law be used to separate other substances besides water, alcohol, and aromatic components?

Yes, Fick's Law can be applied to separate a wide range of substances, as long as there is a difference in concentration between the two substances. It is commonly used in various industrial processes, such as purifying gases and separating mixtures of liquids.

3. Are there any limitations to using Fick's Law for separating water from alcohol and aromatic components?

While Fick's Law is a valuable tool for understanding and predicting diffusion, it does have limitations. It assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as temperature, pressure, and molecular size, which can affect the rate of diffusion.

4. How can Fick's Law be applied practically for separating water from alcohol and aromatic components?

Fick's Law can be applied practically by utilizing techniques such as distillation or membrane separation. In distillation, the mixture is heated to its boiling point, causing the components with lower boiling points to vaporize and separate from the mixture. In membrane separation, a semipermeable membrane is used to selectively allow certain components to pass through, based on their size and polarity.

5. Are there any safety concerns to consider when using Fick's Law for separating water from alcohol and aromatic components?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when working with potentially hazardous substances, such as alcohol. Proper ventilation and protective gear should be used to avoid any potential risks. It is also important to be aware of the flammability of alcohol and take precautions to prevent any accidents.