Amendment to Newton's First Law: The True Relationship Between Force and Motion

• Thread starter deda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary, the conversation discussed Newton's first law and how it was actually an idea first proposed by Galileo. The law states that an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. However, Galileo did not have the full understanding of forces, which Newton later clarified in his third law stating that for every action force, there is an equal and opposite reaction force. This means that friction, which is the reaction force, can only exist if there is already an action force pushing against it. The conversation also touches on a more general law stating that displacement always takes the direction of the force causing it. The speaker also adds their own amendment to Newton's first law, stating that without any external forces, an object
deda
Newton’s first law was actually Galilean idea. It was Galileo who first thought that once we succeed eliminating all the friction from the surface one object slides on the object would slide forever. Newton had only royal style of putting it: “Subjected to no force the object will preserve its uniform motion i.e. travel with constant speedâ€. But there is a catch. Galileo didn’t have the entire force - picture in sight. Newton, later, in his third law stated that for every action force there is an equal and opposite reaction force. In the case of the sliding object the friction is only the reaction the object gets from the surface meaning that the action must come from its motion. Thereby, eliminating the friction from the surface would eliminate the motion of the object. My amendment to Newton’s first law would be: “Subjected to no force the object will perform no motionâ€. Even in this improved version, Newton’s first law is only a trivial case of one other more general law. That general law states: “The displacement always takes the direction of the force causing itâ€. You might not like it because it comes from me, you might not like it because of the way I put it, but rest ashore; you obey this law all the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by deda
Newton, later, in his third law stated that for every action force there is an equal and opposite reaction force. In the case of the sliding object the friction is only the reaction the object gets from the surface meaning that the action must come from its motion. Thereby, eliminating the friction from the surface would eliminate the motion of the object.
Apparently you do not understand Newton's laws.

You've got the two confused. Friction is not the action force, it's the reaction force. Friction is not pushing the object by providing resistance, it is providing resistance to the object which is pushing against it. In order for friction to exist, the force must already have been applied to the object creating the friction. Proof of this is in the fact that space travel is possible.

Originally posted by deda
You might not like it because it comes from me, you might not like it because of the way I put it, but rest ashore; you obey this law all the time.

I do in fact like the way you put it. You have certainly made my day.
-Mike

Originally posted by Pergatory
Friction is not the action force, it's the reaction force.
Don't confuse Action/Reaction pairs (as in Newton's 3rd law) with cause and effect. Per Newton, when objects interact they always exert forces on each other in matched pairs: A on B and B on A. These are the action/reaction pairs. As to which force is the action, and which the reaction: that is totally arbitrary.

For an object sliding along a surface with friction, I see three forces acting on the object. I will list them along with the reaction force for each:

(1) Weight (earth pulling on object); reaction force: object pulls on earth.

(2) Normal force (surface pushes up on object); reaction force: object pushes down on surface.

(3) Friction (surface pushes on object, parallel to surface); reaction force: object pushes on surface, parallel to surface.

Michael D. Sewell said:
I do in fact like the way you put it. You have certainly made my day.
-Mike
Couldn't have done it without making Doc Al's night. :biggrin:

1. What is the difference between Newton's First Law and the Amendment?

The Amendment to Newton's First Law states that an object's motion is not only affected by the amount of force applied to it, but also by the direction of the force. This differs from the original law which only states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does the Amendment impact our understanding of force and motion?

The Amendment provides a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between force and motion. It recognizes that force can not only change the speed or direction of an object, but also its overall motion. This allows for a more accurate prediction of an object's behavior under different forces.

3. What evidence supports the Amendment to Newton's First Law?

There have been numerous experiments and observations that support the Amendment. For example, the motion of planets in the solar system and the bending of light by gravity both demonstrate that motion is affected by both the amount and direction of force.

4. How does the Amendment affect everyday experiences with force and motion?

The Amendment may not have a direct impact on everyday experiences, but it helps explain why certain phenomena occur. For instance, why a car moves forward when the gas pedal is pressed, or why a ball curves when thrown with spin.

5. Are there any limitations to the Amendment?

Like any scientific theory, the Amendment to Newton's First Law is not absolute and may be subject to further refinement or modification in the future. Additionally, it may not apply to extreme conditions such as those found in outer space or at the atomic level.