How to Map a USB Printer to LPT1/2/3 in Citrix Metaframe XP 1.0?

• Thread starter Ranik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map Usb
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of Citrix Metaframe XP 1.0 not supporting USB printers for application use. The solution suggested is to redirect the USB port as a LPT1/2/3 (Parallel) port. The user has tried using the NET USE command but it does not work for Citrix. The suggestion is to share the printer and use the net use command to redirect it to LPT1. The conversation also includes steps to check if the printer is working properly.
Ranik
Hello,

I am a new sysop for a company who uses Citrix Metaframe XP 1.0 and ICA remote connections.

As far as I can tell, this version of Citrix does not support USB Printers when it auto-configures client printers for application use. However if the same printer is plugged into a LPT (Parallel) port, it pickes it up every time.

I need to know how to redirect the ports so that Citrix thinks that the USB port is a LPT1/2/3 (Parallel) port.

The Operating Systems we use are WIN 2000 and XP.

*Already tried the DOS trick of 'NET USE LPT1: \\COMPUTER\PRINTER /PERSISTANT:YES'

That works for DOS printing but Citrix will still not register the printer as valid.

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Ranik
Ranik@charter.net

Computer science news on Phys.org
This from a dead website, http://blogs.ineta.org/dtotzke/articles/26204.aspx

1. Share the printer, say as "hp404"
2. at the CMD prompt, type:
net use lpt1: \\127.0.0.1\hp404
3. Check by:
A.
COPY CON LPT1:
Type line of text
Control-Z

B. COPY CON PRN:
Type in line of text
Control-Z

C. PRINT SOMEFILE.TXT

1. How do I map a USB printer to LPT1/2/3?

To map a USB printer to LPT1/2/3, you will need to follow the steps outlined by your computer's operating system. This typically involves navigating to the "Printers and Devices" settings and selecting the option to "Add a Printer". From there, you can choose the option to "Add a local printer" and then select the specific USB port that your printer is connected to (e.g. LPT1/2/3).

2. Why would I need to map a USB printer to LPT1/2/3?

Some older programs or devices may only be compatible with a parallel port, such as LPT1/2/3, rather than a USB port. By mapping your USB printer to one of these parallel ports, you can ensure that the program or device can communicate with the printer successfully.

3. Can I map multiple USB printers to LPT1/2/3?

Yes, it is possible to map multiple USB printers to LPT1/2/3. However, keep in mind that each printer will need to be connected to a separate USB port on your computer.

4. What if my computer does not have a parallel port (LPT1/2/3)?

If your computer does not have a parallel port, you will not be able to map a USB printer to LPT1/2/3. In this case, you may need to use a USB to parallel adapter or consider upgrading to a newer printer that has USB compatibility.

5. How do I know if my printer is successfully mapped to LPT1/2/3?

You can check if your printer is successfully mapped to LPT1/2/3 by printing a test page or attempting to print from a program or device that requires a parallel port. If the printer responds and prints successfully, then it is likely that the mapping was successful.

Back