How Should You Cite Sources in Academic Writing?

• Thread starter Jallu
  • Start date
Your name]In summary, the forum member has shared their doubts and questions regarding their Master's thesis, specifically regarding properly citing sources and avoiding plagiarism. They are wondering how to deal with using information from a single author and whether they need to cite widely accepted theories. It is important to paraphrase and cite the original author's work to avoid plagiarism and to always cite sources, even for widely accepted theories. Consulting with a thesis advisor or writing center can provide further guidance on this matter.
Jallu
I am starting this thread because I have some doubts.

Currently, I am writing a Master's thesis, for which I am going to apply electrical impedance spectroscopy on woody material.

1) Everything that has been written about this specific subject was done by one specific author. In order to explain the theory behind the method I could copy paste big parts from his work, but that would be plagiarism. How to deal with this? No need to invent the wheel twice right? but, but, but...

2) For a general introduction regarding impedance, I picked some information from e.g. Wikipedia or some other encyclopedia. All of these are widely excepted theories, so I don't need to mention the source, right?

Thanks for reading, hopefully you can provide me with some general guidelines.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your doubts and questions regarding your Master's thesis. As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of properly citing sources and avoiding plagiarism.

In regards to your first question, it is important to acknowledge and give credit to the original author's work. While it may seem tempting to copy and paste large portions of their work, it is not acceptable and could result in plagiarism. Instead, I would recommend thoroughly reading and understanding the author's work and then paraphrasing the information in your own words. You can also cite the original work and provide a reference for readers to further explore the topic.

For your second question, it is always best to cite the sources of information, even if they are widely accepted theories. This not only gives credit to the original author but also adds credibility to your own work. It is important to remember that even widely accepted theories can be challenged and updated, so citing the source allows readers to track the evolution of the theory.

In general, it is important to always properly cite sources and avoid plagiarism in scientific writing. This not only upholds ethical standards but also promotes the integrity of your work. If you have any further questions or concerns, I recommend consulting with your thesis advisor or a writing center for additional guidance.

Good luck with your thesis!

it is important to always properly cite and reference any information or ideas that are not your own. This ensures that credit is given where it is due and that your work is based on accurate and reliable sources. In regards to your first question, it is not appropriate to copy and paste large portions of another author's work without proper citation. This would indeed be considered plagiarism. Instead, you should use your own words to explain the theory behind the method and properly cite the original author's work. This not only avoids plagiarism, but also shows that you have a thorough understanding of the material.

For your second question, it is still important to cite the source of any information you use, even if it is widely accepted. This shows that you have done your research and are using reputable sources to support your work. While Wikipedia and other encyclopedias can be useful starting points, it is best to find and cite primary sources for your information.

Overall, the key guideline for citing and referencing in scientific writing is to give credit where it is due and to be transparent about the sources you have used. This not only upholds academic integrity, but also allows others to easily find and verify the information you have used in your work.

1. How do I cite sources in a research paper?

Citing sources in a research paper involves including in-text citations within the body of the paper and creating a reference list at the end. In-text citations include the author's last name and the year of publication, while the reference list includes the full citation of each source used.

2. Why is citing and referencing important?

Citing and referencing is important because it allows readers to easily locate and verify the sources used in a research paper. It also gives credit to the original authors and prevents plagiarism.

3. What citation style should I use?

The citation style depends on the academic discipline or the preference of your instructor. Some commonly used styles include APA, MLA, and Chicago. It is important to follow the specific guidelines of the chosen style for consistency and accuracy.

4. How do I cite a source with multiple authors?

If a source has two authors, include both names in the in-text citation. For sources with three or more authors, include the first author's name followed by "et al." In the reference list, list all the authors' names. If there are more than seven authors, list the first six followed by an ellipsis (...) and then the last author's name.

5. What should I do if I cannot find all the information for a citation?

If you are unable to find certain information for a citation, such as the author's name or the publication date, try to include as much information as possible. If the information is not available, use "n.d." for no date or "n.p." for no publisher. You can also consult with a librarian or your instructor for guidance.